Tortola Trip wrap up:: Loved the Sugar Mill

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there. The Fodors site was extremely helpful when me and my girlfriend were planning our vacation together so just wanted to give back.<BR>We just returned from a week in Tortola and loved it. We stayed at the Sugar Mill Hotel and did the adventure package, which included a day sail, horseback riding, six day car rental, 4 dinners at their terrific restaurant, and a picnic lunch. I highly reccomend the Sugar Mill for couples looking for a romantic hotel with a bed and breakfast feel. A lot of people talk about the beach being small, but there are so many beaches in Tortola we didn't even think about it. The food is great and the staff there couldn't have been more helpful.<BR><BR>The beaches we went to were Smugglers Cove, Breewers Bay, which we loved, we took a plane to Anegada to a beach there which was a great adventure and good snorkeling. Also took a day sail to Norman Island, the Indians, and one other spot. <BR><BR>Other than the Sugar Mill we ate at Pussers on the West End which had very good ribs, also Palms Delight, which was also good. We took a long ride to Brandywine, a high end Italian restaurant on the island. It was very nice, but also very expensive.<BR><BR>It was a great trip. If we can help people with any questions, ask away.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Stephen, thanks for the feedback. How were the rooms at the Sugar Mill, I have heard that they are plain and not worth the money. Did they have good views? Were they clean and comfortable?? Were they functional? (These are the important things in my book).
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

the rooms at the Sugar Mill were nice in my eyes. We stayed in a deluxe suite. They had a small kitchen which we didn't use really except for keeping stuff in the refigerator. But the shower was nice. It was very fancy, but nice and comfortable. During my entire stay there we felt very comfortable. And the rooms are like that. Hope this helps. And with all that we did, we did not spend a lot of time in the room also.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:18 AM

I stayed at the Sugar Mill last winter. The rooms are simple, but comfortable. I think the previous poster meant to say &quot;not very fancy&quot; which is true. All rooms have nice views because they are all built along the side of a hill looking over the trees toward the water. Our room also had a small kitchen area with fridge. Most do. All rooms have a balcony with chairs so you can enjoy the view any time of day. We liked the breakfast, but instead of waiting for somewhat slow service at the terrace restaurant, we would call ahead and walk over to pick up a breakfast tray to bring back to our private balcony. They will also deliver to the room. The rooms are clean, and the atmosphere of the hotel is very warm and welcoming. The main restaurant, open for dinner only is not to be missed. A beautiful setting and very nice food and service. Like the other post, we never lacked for beautiful beaches, including the small one in front of the hotel which was ideal at sunset. We had it all to ourselves. Enjoy.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM

We honeymooned this past December in Tortola and stayed at Long Bay Beach, in one of the villas right on the beach. Although the rooms could use an updating, they were clean and the view was unbelievable. We dined at Sugar Mill and Palms Delight, plus some fun crazy place with totem polls outside, can't remember the name. Smuggler's Cove is the most private beach we've seen, with crystal water and powder sand.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Looking into Sugar Mill for an October honeymoon and I had a few questions I hoped you all could answer.

Does the hotel provide a shuttle for any of the other beaches? If not, are any of the good beaches within walking distance (twenty minutes)? How much for a taxi?

What is the average price for lunch and drinks around the island?

I know it has been asked before....but what are the must dos on Tortola (besides Bombas

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.