Solo in Caribbean - help

Search

Solo in Caribbean - help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo in Caribbean - help

Message: I've been separated for about a year. I've never traveled solo and need to go to somewhere w turquoise waters, snorkling, yoga, an opportunity to join a group w/out an organized tour 24/7. HELP! I'm not into hardcore adventure tours, but would like to go somewhere eco-minded.I like to horeseback ride, kayak, swim, hang on the beach, read, enjoy some good food, do yoga and get a massage, but also go somewhere where other singles can meet. Not a huge Westin per say. Does anyone have a tour company or suggestion for me? I need free time to do what I want, but would also like the opportunity to meet others... Interested in Belize, bahamas, yucutan peninsula....

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Tulum Mexico - exactly what you are looking for.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Check into www.jackiesonthereef.com. It's a holistic spa on the beach in Jamaica. I've never had a huge desire to go to Jamaica, but this place looks like it could change my mind.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:17 AM

Fly into Cancun/rent a car, drive about a half-hour to MAROMA, a small luxe holistic-oriented boutique resort which would be a great step one in decompression from Stateside. Stay at least 3-4 nights, then head for Playa del Carmen and DeSeo (or DeFeo, I can never remember which), a hip single-oriented South Beach/Miami Ian Schrager goes tropics place in a town with lots of singles. Go snorkelling at the various inland lagoons and old Maya sites and take a detour en route to
Playa for a half-day exploration of COBA, a huge Maya site a half-hour off the main. South of TULUM, a major tourist site, you'll find wild beaches, basic accomodations, off-the-beaten-track people. You can also head north from Playa to get on a different vibe by staying 3-4 nights at a number of old hacienda estates inland from Merida.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Go to Paradise Island, Bahamas and stay at the Atlantis. Great night life and plenty of opportunities to meet someone to rub sunblock on your back for you. Great beach,yoga, and plenty of drinks with those little umbrellas in them. Trust me, I lived in PI, bahamas...
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM

St. John has Maho Bay eco camping. I haven't stayed there but they have lots of programs.

www.maho.org
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:48 AM
mjz

I recently ended a long term (for me) relationship and needed to get away to reflect, regroup and get back on the right path. Flew into Cancun, rented a jeep and headed down south of Playa del Carmen. If I wanted to be social, I headed into Playa for dinner/drinks and met many nice people - if I wanted seclusion, I hopped in the jeep and explored for a fairly deserted beach - read, snorkeled, etc. I spent my last couple of days at Le Meridien in Cancun taking in the great beach, food and incredible spa. I'm a guy, so was not concerned about safety - if you're female, just take your usual precautions you would in any unfamiliar environment. Good luck and have a blast.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:51 AM

I second the vote for Jackies on the Reef. I know what you are going through and I think this is a great place to recharge and regroup. Plus, yoga changed my life and I would love to be able to practive 2x a day.

The place has good karma.