Cancun or Negril?

May 21st, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Cancun or Negril?

A friend and I are thinking about a mid-july vaction. We are both males and 27 years old. We would like to stay in a resort that caters more towards singles and a fun/party atmosphere. The cost factor really isn't a problem as long as we get what we pay for. Any advice on where to stay in either Cancun or Negril would be much appreciated. We just don't want to be surrounded by families and couples. In Negril we are considering both cocolapalm or fun holiday but are open to other suggestions. Or if you think we are making a mistake going to either of these places please let me know. As far as cancun goes we are pretty much in the dark. The oasis prices are tempting, especially the all-inclusive, but the rooms themselves (if I remember from my spring break experiences) are pretty dumpy.

We were considering club med turkoise in turks and caicos but the price seems pretty high and I don't really like the idea of being stuck in the resort the whole time (I've heard that there isn't much to do outside of it as far as nightlife). Aruba was also an option but seems very expensive and geared towards families and couples.

Any adice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Rob
May 21st, 2005, 12:35 PM

I have been to both, but I am just a BIT older than you...

Both Cnacun and Negril have a fun party atmosphere, but they are quite different from one another.

Prices would be about the same, but one is glitzy highrises along a stunning beach (Cancun), and the other is funly little beach bars, restaurants and low rise small hotels along a stunning beach (Negril).

You will have families and couples at both - though more families in Cancun.

Turks and Caicos, no. I've been there too and there's limited night life and very few singles.

Personally, I would recommend Playa del Carmen about 45 min. south of Cancun. LOTS of gorgeous singles in your age range from all over the world. (Does the idea of hordes of topless Gisele look-alikes appeal to you? I thought so.)

Cancun is glamorous and a dress-up nightlife, Negril is funky with a casual nightlife. PDC is a very cool mix of the two.

May 21st, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your advice. I will look into Playa del Carmen. Any specific hotel to look into or stay away from?

I'm really steering away from cancun just because I've been there twice already when I was younger. Playa del carmen may be what I'm looking for.

Thanks agian,

Rob
May 21st, 2005, 02:05 PM

We have been several times and usually stay at Playa Maya. (On beach - in the middle of everything, reasonable rates.)playa-maya.com

This last time, three weeks ago, we stayed at Royal Palms condos and loved it.

Check out Mosquito Blue, Lunata, Hotel Deseo (VERY trendy) also.

I think PDC would be perfect for what you are looking for.
May 21st, 2005, 04:12 PM

I second the Mosquito Blue recommendation in PDC. El Faro is another nice choice on the beach.
May 24th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Does anybody think that PDC would be too quiet or geared more towards families/couples for two single males to enjoy?
May 24th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Kind of...

I don't want to say much negative about PDC because the beaches ARE beautiful and there ARE a lot of very good, very affordable places to eat, drink, and have fun.

BUT...if you really want a fun atmosphere with more critical mass when it comes to beach activities, night spots, young crowds....well, you're really talking Cancun *MUCH* more than PDC.

PDC is cool, but it's also unquestionably more sedate than the livlier and glitzier Cancun.

I don't think it's necessarily TOO quiet for two single males...but it's also no Cancun (which some folks regard as its charm). As always, your mileage may vary...

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
May 24th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I respectfully disagree that PDC is more "sedate" than Cancun. (At least, that is my experience.)

Cancun gets far more families and couples (except for Spring Break.) I've spent quite a bit of time both places.

We have been going to PDC for the last few years, and there is ALWAYS a party (or two or three) within walking distance that goes till 2 or 3 am.

Just this last trip (got back three weks ago), we were only there for five nights and never got back to our condo before midnight with LOTS of 20's and 30's singles all over in the clubs/bars.

Moon Bar, Alux, Cafe Mambo, Deseo, Fly Bar, Glass Bar, Havana Club, Blue Parrot - most of these places don't even get cranked up till midnight. We were at Cafe Mambo till 2:30 and the crowd was still going strong when we left.

Cancun does have big clubs, but I've been to them in the off-season (which is when fungus is going) and they are nearly dead. Nothing more pathetic than a giant nightclub with only a few people wandering around...

We are partiers, and I far prefer the PDC scene to Cancun.

fungus, you could easily start out in Cancun and then move on down to PDC if Cancun isn't what you are looking for.

During off-season, the rates are low and there is plenty of walk-in availability.
May 24th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I think Diana's got great suggestions for you. Playa del Carmen definitely seems like the place for 2 27 year olds.
It may tell you something that as a 43 year old Mom, I actually felt more comfortable in Cancun...PDC made me feel old!
(Although the whole family preferred the Cancun beaches.)
May 25th, 2005, 02:02 AM

I'd also recommend DESEO and Playa over Negril. The style is South Beach/NYC (designer-wrapped condoms in the mini-fridges,even), a cool rooftop lounge -- and plenty of diversions outside town (Mayan sites/snorkelling/sportfishing)
if the party wears thin. Negril is looking more and more mass-tourist and downscale these days...
May 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all of the help. I think that we may stear clear of both cancun and negril and it now seems to be a toss up between playa del carmen, st. maarten or aruba. But to be honest, PDC seems to be the best bet as far as $ is concerned.
Thanks again,

Rob
May 25th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Rob,

Not to confuse you further, but Aruba is extremely Cancun-like, and St Maarten is going to be most likely pretty quiet in July. (I was there in September one year, and it was. Lots of places shut down for repairs in the summer since it is low season.)

Just some addt'l food for thought...
May 25th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate it. Pretty much focusing on Playa Del Carmen right now. Looking for a hotel on the beach but close enough to the nightlife and restaurants. Does anybody have any thoughts on the Gran Porto Real? Or can offer any other suggestions.
Thanks again,
Rob
May 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Gran Porto Real is huge and isn't it an AI? Ech. Don't stay at an AI...

On beach - Playa Maya, El Faro, Alhambra, Shangri La, Blue Parrot.
May 25th, 2005, 08:28 AM

I think you can go either AI or not with the Gran Porto Real. It looks great from the outside and has a fantastic location. The issues I have heard about with it are mostly overbooking, which may have been remedied (or not) with their newer section opening up.
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Hey rob,

if you are okay with it, will you let me know which package/vacation plans you ended up with and how PDC was for you.

I'm 26, and planning a vacation for all my single gfs for NYE. We're thinking of Jamaica, Mexico or Bahamas. So, pls let me know how you liked the scene wherever you end up in july! (and, what your budget was)

i'd really appreciate it.