AI with beautiful beach and nightlife?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I are in our twenties and looking for a relatively inexpensive all-inclusive vacation. Most important to us are a beautiful beach and some kind of nightlife. We don't want the crazy spring break experience, but someplace where we can go out dancing after spending the day relaxing and reading on the beach. It sounds like the DR and Negril seem like the best options, although we are open to just about anything. Anyone have any suggestions of location or hotels? Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:38 AM

Both Cancun and Playa Del Carmen have loads of AI's and lots of nightlife. Cancun does get a lot of Spring Breakers but if you go during non-spring break periods you can avoid the "college crowds".
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
KVR

I agree with Cancun. Look at the RIU Cancun, RIU Caribe or the Oasis Cancun.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Look at the Iberostar Tucan / Qeutzal - a beautiful resort a few minutes south of Playa Del Carmen, built in a jungle that is beautiful, and the best beach in the area. Good food, very reasonably priced, especially for the quality of service you receive. Ocean front rooms available for a small premium, no real benefit though.
Playa Del Carmen is a great spot to enjoy the night life. Look at reviews at tripadvisor and other sites - not to be missed!
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, the Tucan/Quetzal has recently suffered SEVERE beach erosion.
If you want an inexpensive all inclusive with a GREAT beach, look into the Akumal Beach Resort. It's only three stars, but is clean and right newar the town of Akumal. The beach is fantastic and you can snorkel right there.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Cancun is much more the spring break spot as compared to the more laid back Playa del carmen (getting busier though) and Tulum to the south. Having said that, the Riu Palace Las Americas at the top of the hotel zone is georgeous, with the best food and service we've experienced at an AI - period. The Riu Cancun next door is nice but the Palace is 2 steps above in service and overall quality. You'll have to go to the nearby nightclubs for entertainment, and these are very busy at night.
One great benefit of staying here (or in Cancun in general) is the proximity to Isla Mujeres, a small island off the coast. A very nice day trip, read reviews.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Schmerl,
The beach erosion at the Tucan must be very recent - we were last there in Sept 07 following the hurricanes that hit south of there (Akumal area & into Belize) and the Playacar area wasn't affected at all. I noticed a small drop off on the beach before you get to the water that has been there for awhile but this isn't recent beach erosion. Has something happened since Sept? I'll get in touch with the resort as we're heading there once again this year.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:21 AM
KVR

We're going to Cancun in April and went to Playa del Carmen in Sept. 07. Through all my research, it appears as of late 2007 there has been several hotels who have experienced severe beach erosion in Cancun and the Maya Riveria area. If a beach is important to you, check thorougly before booking.

After being to Playa twice and Cancun once with another trip planned. I would think that someone in their 20's Cancun would have the edge. Better nightlife for that age range and more inexpensive AI hotels within walking distance. Our experience in Playa our last trip was most people ranged in their late 30's to early 40's. But, we're in that age range and still prefer Cancun on Playa, so it just depends on what the OP is looking for.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM

bluewater,
The erosion has occured in just the last few months. Starting about December. It's really a shame what has happened to the beach. Especially in front of the Quetzal. One of the life guard stands there actually fell into the water!!!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:29 PM

bluewater,
Here's a link to a thread on another site talking about the IB Tucan/Quetzal beach:

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carm...zal-tucan.html
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Unbelievable!!! I cannot believe my own eyes, the Quetzal side is gone and the Tucan side is intact. Amazing . It is odd that the hurricanes that damaged south of Playacar had little impact on Playacar and now this major erosion has taken place.
Thank you Schmerl for the link, we appreciate the update.