Caneel Bay - Ocean View Rooms?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of booking one of the Ocean View rooms at Caneel Bay for a second-honeymoon-type week next June. This is a "mid-level" room at Caneel, less expensive that Beachfront, Premium, or "Cottage 7" rooms, but pricier than Courtside and Tennis Garden rooms. I would welcome any comment on the location(s) and general quality/amenities of these Ocean View rooms (or any of the other room types, for that matter, although a previous thread pretty well covered the Beachfront vs. Premium rooms). I realize that at any room at Caneel, one cannot and should not expect Ritz-Carlton/Four Seasons-style luxuriousness, and that's ok. (Also, I've looked at the map of the property on the CB website, but can't make out the locations very well due to the low resolution quality of the pdf.) I've never been to Caneel or to St. John. Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:48 PM

When we were at Caneel 3 years ago, we stayed in a "premium" Scott's Beach Room.....loved it. The sand was a step off our deck and the water not more than 40 steps more. The best part for me however was the ability to lay in bed and look out and see the blue water so close. It was amazing! Having said that, an Ocean View room would still have been wonderful and for better or worse maybe even closer to the mail pavillion. If you can splurge, get a Scott's Beach... if not then don't worry, it'll still be wonderful.
Have fun!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Request an oceanview room on 'The Point".

Located on a hill, it has a beautiful view of the sea and boat traffic. It is also close to Caneel and Paradise Beaches and not that far to Scott's. Start dreaming. That's half the fun. You and your spose will have a wonderful, memerable second-honeymoon.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:16 AM

We stayed in an oceanview room last October. You could see the beach through the trees if you were on the deck; couldn't see the beach while relaxing in bed. We didn't care about the view - we spent our days on the beach. When we were in the room (which wasn't a lot) we were getting ready to go out, sleeping, etc.

From my perspective the biggest advantage of the oceanview rooms is that you guarantee that you are near a beach. Some of the tennis and garden rooms are quite a walk to the beach (10 minutes). Our room was 30 second walk. We liked being close - easy to run back to the room if you needed something. Easy to go for a midnight walk on the beach, etc.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:21 AM

I am going to Caneel this October for the first time for my 2nd year anniversary. I've been pretty anxious about going, can't wait! So I went onto their website recently (Caneel's) and noticed they "added" a new room category called "premium oceanview" room which I believe is located on the point (which the previous posted recommended). There is also a picture of this "new" room in their photo gallery. I booked a beachfront room category. I'm hoping to upgrade though onto Scott's but I'm sure everyone has the same idea! The premium oceanview rooms do look nice and less expensive then the beachfront. - I'm sure which ever room you choose you'll be happy! Good luck - Susan
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:24 AM

If you go to www.travelhop.com, you can see the rooms - don't know of the location though.