Search

Caneel Rooms?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caneel Rooms?

My husband and I are considering a 4 nite stay at Caneel Bay next fall for our 35th anniversary. Any preferences for best oceanview (no need to be oceanfront) and St. Thomas view rooms? Are oceanview worth the upgrade from tennis court? Heard Cottage Point units are nice - nice views?? Are these ground level only? Are they near Scott Beach? Scott Beach (are these only oceanfront?)or upper level Hawksnest? Which beach is nicer? Heard lots of shade on Hawksnest. Any specific room number suggestions? Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:29 AM

bsnave,
In prep for our frist trip to Caneel next June (requested Hawksnest upper) I came across this trip report that had some good information about ocean view rooms and pictures.

http://www.benjaminknowles.com/honeymoon/

Hope this helps.

-Bill
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:58 AM

bsnave--If you like the idea of seeing and hearing the ocean closeup, than an upgrade is really worth it. Room prices are by proximity to beach and which one, not room quality--all the rooms are fine. Cottage Point rooms (all one-story)are very good for ocean and STT views. You have to walk for a couple of min to Scott or Caneel Beach.
Probably the most bang for the buck if you don't have to spill out onto the sand. Scott Beach rooms are all at ground level, face STT, but are the priciest. Hawksnest faces east to the trade winds, has best shade, comfort, and, if you are upstairs, the most privacy. Both Scott and Hawksnest Beaches are drop dead gorgeous. At Cottage Point, the higher-numbered rooms have the more direct STT views and are closer to Scott Beach. On Scott, the lower-numbered rooms are on the wider and shadier part of the beach, and all the upper rooms on Hawksnest are the same.
I believe Caneel's website may have a grounds map to help you with this. BTW, and website or photos you may see do not do this place justice. Try for more than 4 days--you won't want to leave.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Xkenx,

Sounds like you know Caneel rooms well, I'm going with infant and have choice of tennis garden, Little Caneel beachfront or Little Caneel ocean view. Is the additional cost for beachfront worth it versus ocean view? How close are these units to the beach? Thanks for advice.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Cotes, I am not as familiar with the Little Caneel rooms. Other posters have said that the ocean view rooms there are up a hill. A concern with a little one would be hauling stuff to the beach, either from there or Tennis Garden. Seems like right on the beach is better. Can't you get a room on the main Caneel Beach--it is much larger and more central?
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:14 PM

They don't allow families with infants on main Caneel beach according to Rosewood, told me for beachfront it is Little Caneel. I'll ask again, thanks am going to stay beachfront.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Cotes, you might try reservation with Caneel directly for child (not infant) on Caneel Beach. I haven't heard kids denied @ Caneel Beach.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM

Cotes,

I have no first hand knowledge of Caneel, but I think xkenx may have addressed something as simple as semantics.

You refer to your child as an infant, and that conjures up a different image than that of a toddler, which I think he might be at the time of your trip.

xkenx gives you good advice... you are traveling with a child !

Marion