Search

CR - Caribbean Side?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR - Caribbean Side?

Hi, all - I know quite a few of you have traveled to the Caribbean side of Costa Rica. I was curious about the water there - is it that same rich blue color that you get in the Caribbean islands? Is anything like that available on that side?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:34 AM

Hi vg, it's not that Caribbean turquoise with white sand that is so beautiful. On a sunny day, the water is a pretty blue. Lots of clouds tend to be in that area, though, so frequently you don't see that pretty color. Beaches are black or tan, and often a mix, which is cool.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:40 AM

volcanogirl - I think I missed your post somewhere - but I know you're leaving soon - where are you heading this trip? I know Monteverde is one stop. When are you going, and how long are you staying? You must be getting anxious!!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Jill - that's kind of what I was thinking - pretty but not that knockout blue that you see in some other spots. Shell, we leave in a couple of days; we're going back to Arenal just because we loved it so much and are trying Monteverde this time - my husband was really interested in it. We're also spending a couple of nights at the Peace Lodge just because we had to rush through last time; we stayed less than 24 hours last time due to flight delays. I'm getting so excited! Next year I'm thinking about trying Belize, but am waiting for shillmac to explore it first! Also still interested in Tortuguero. So many spots, so little time!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:31 AM

I'm supposed to hear from Chan Chich today. Apparently there is a group who has it on hold for the entire week. They are supposed to confirm or not today. Birders, I'm sure. Hopefully they'll give up some space and there will be room for us. I have the air on hold, need to go ahead and get that booked before the day is over. Probably will go whether CC is available or not. Just disappointed a bit, though, if we can't stay there. . .
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:41 AM

It sounds like we all are so similar in our travel interests! I have Belize on my list as well! I was telling my husband the other night that I'd love to go there next year! I absolutely love the Mayan ruins and snorkeling, so it seems like a no brainer for me. So - you two can check it out and give me the scoop!!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM

Volcanogirl: when would you be going to the Caribbean side of CR? I was there in Aug of 2006 and it was cloudy, and the water was not anything like the crystal clear blue waters of the other Caribbean islands, and because of the rain and runoff, the vis was not any better than the Pacific side as well. I have been told that it is good during the drier season, but it didn't do it for me.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

west, I think we would most likely go during the rainy season - seems to be when we have vacation, and I think you can get better deals then, plus we like everything to be lush and green. Thanks for the info. - just always looking for the next spot to explore.