Bahia Principal Akumal???

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Kimmie

Bahia Principal Akumal???

We are looking at this location as a possible 2003 vacation destination.

Anyone with any feedback, both pro and con,
please share!

Gracias,
K.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Greenie

I belive it's Principe, and it's a nice hotel. My husband and I went for a 3 night trip in October of 2000. The hotel is very far from the airport...over an hour ride. You are pretty isolated, although Akumal is close with good snorkeling.

Here's the high/low lights:
The hotel was immaculately clean
The staff was very friendly
Rooms were large/very clean/bathrooms too but noisy...you could here people slamming doors and talking in the next room
Food was not that great (but all huge all-inclusives in Mexico have marginal food IMHO)
Beach was very long, rocky in some spots
Two huge pools/very clean

If it were me, i'd stay closer to Playa del Carmen, just for the things to do, i.e. ferry to cozumel and restaurants and shops in PDC.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Kimmie

Hi,
Thanks for the update.
Do you recall any interesting day trips being offered, or local spots of interest?

Kim

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Greenie

They offer all the standard trips: xcaret, xelha, ruins, etc.

If you want to snorkel without a lot of people kicking you in the face, then go to Yalku lagoon or somewhere else in akumal. Those snorkel places (xcaret and xelha) are nice for about the first half-hour until all the tourists arrive, then it's like six flags (crowded).

We enjoyed snorkeling for hours at yalku lagoon without anyone there.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:45 PM
kodi

We were at Bahia Principe and lvoed it.
Although it was quite a ways from the airport, we enjoyed the ride. Many of the resorts along the Mayan Riviera are isolated. But the Bahia property (including the Tulum section) is so large, that we certainly didn't feel closed in. ...nor were we lacking anything to do. The Tulum section also has pools and restaurants that you can use... so you have a choice of 4 or 5 pools and quite a few restaurants.

We went to the Tulum ruins one day. WE did it on our own and it was much cheaper than the tours offered at the hotel. We walked out to the main road and took a taxi. When we got to Tulum, we hired a private tour guide for a good price...and really enjoyed our day.
Another day we took the shuttle to Playa del Carmin and spent a great day there. Then decided to take the local bus back, rather than wait for the shuttle...and it was no problem.
We really loved this resort... one of our favourites and would gladly go back.