Search

Playa del Carmen and Cozumel Combo trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playa del Carmen and Cozumel Combo trip

Hello,

In the past, we have used the feedback/suggestions from this site to plan our vacations. And it's always been helpful and we haven't gone wrong. If anyone could provide some suggestions for the trip we're planning it would greatly appreciated.

- 2 nigths PDC- Hotel choices- Royal Hideway, Aventura Spa
-2 nights Cozumel- Hotel- Intercontinental or any other suggestions?

Dining-
- considering AI for PDC- this would be a first for us.
- No AI for Cozumel

Activities
- we enjoy snorkeling, and limited easy half day sightseeing.

Possibly may add one one more nite- PDC or Cozumel??

Important- good/great food, nice beaches, good service, not near cruise ship dockings

Thanks, and I'm sure all the suggestions will again help to create a great trip.

Jon and Tina
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Okay. First things first.

Numero uno - You should try very hard to stay longer than 2 nights in both places. We learned the hard way (last year on Isla Mujeres) that 2 nights is not nearly enough to even get much of a taste of a place, and both PDC and Coz have a lot to offer.

If you only have 4 nights, spend them all on Cozumel and do a ferry trip one day over to PDC to see if you like it. (Lots more to do on Coz than in the immediate PDC area.)

Or vice versa.

Neither PH nor ASP are in PDC. You will spend a lot of your precious time traveling back and forth if you stay there, but both resorts are VERY nice.

On Coz, imho, the IC Presidente is the ONLY place to stay. (But I'm a bit prejudiced having stayed there for ten years in a row.)

Both Coz and PDC have incredible restaurants, and I'd never do AI there unless I were spending a week at RH and planning on lounging around the resort the whole time.

Much more excellent snorkeling and day trip options on Cozumel unless you travel to the ruins from PDC - which is pretty much a day trip to see the good ones.

I don't know if your entire trip is four or five days, or if you are adding on to a trip you are taking elsewhere in Mexico, but imho, 4 or 5 days is just long enough for me to unwind and start getting on island time. I think with the time involved to get to either place - airport transfers unless you can fly direct - and van trips to PDC - you would really wish you had taken at least a week. (But that's just me.)
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Diana,

Thanks so much! After reviewing all the reports and info on this board, I had a feeling we would need to add on more days or change how we are staying.

I think IC in Cozumel will be a definite, my husband is suggesting staying in Akumal potentially- he says its closer to some of the ruins and better snorkeling. We have never been a fan of AI. generally we stay at a smaller boutique/apt/condo style place and search local eating options.

I would rather stay on cozumel and day trip to the ruins for one day and spend a few hours in PDC.
Any thoughts?
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Another option would be to take the flight over from Cozumel to visit Chichen Itza. It's a little pricey, but it is so worth it.

You fly directly into the airstrip from the Cozumel airport. You beat all of the daytrippers from Cancun, arrive when it's cooler in the morning, have plenty of time to see the ruins, and then get back to the hotel in the afternoon without having to spend a bunch of time on a bus.

I would recommend choosing the primary reason for your trip. If you plan to spend a lot of time at ruins like Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza, I'd stay in Akumal - cool place with good snorkeling - or Playa del Carmen. Neat places to stay and eat.

I would have to say that I don't think the snorkeling in Akumal is as good as Cozumel, but that's only my opinion. There are some reef systems on Cozumel - Palancar and Paradise - that nothing in Akumal even comes close to. Plus, if you are a snorkeling nut, the IC is nirvana with excellent snorkeling available from shore right in front of the hotel.

If you mostly want to snorkel or dive, and do some sightseeing on the mainland, stay on Cozumel and take the ferry over to PDC or do the Chichen Itza flight.

We leave in a little over a week for Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morelos. I can't wait!!!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Diana,

Thanks again! We have decided on Cozumel, 5 nights at the Presidente IC and signed up for the ambassador club to get an upgrade. Snorkeling is what my husband wants to do and take day boat trips- sounds like Cozumel is the place. We will day trip to see the ruins. Again thanks for all your help and have a great trip.

Jon and Tina
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Thanks! You too. You'll love the hotel and the people there - so friendly.

If you are partiers, check out the Fury Cat beach party tour.

Take the one that goes to Palancar - some of the most incredible snorkeling I have ever done.

Open bar, music, lots of time to snorkel, party on the beach with volleyball, etc. FUN!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Can someone give me some input on the following matters:

Is Cozumel a fun place for kids? I have a 5 yr old and a 19 month old.

Is the drinking water safe? Both the kids have sensitive stomachs.

Thanks
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 12:31 PM

I think you would do fine with the kids in Cozumel. Not a lot of kid activities per se, but the people are very kid friendly and the family will be made to feel welcome everywhere.
The drinking water is definitely not safe! I stay with a local family and they do as all others do--they buy the bottled water (the local brands are fine!)
Enjoy!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Also, in reply to Jon and Tina, I would like to suggest a restaurant in Cozumel which, in my opinion, is not to be missed! The restaurant is La Cocay which is operated by the owner/chef with and ever changing menu of the freshest items available. Not cheap, but worth the price!
I visit Cozumel almost every month and never miss La Cocay. It can be a bit hard to find if not familiar with Cozumel--just ask any taxi driver to take you there.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert for the info! One question regarding dining. Do most restaurants take US$ or Pesos? And can you provide some range in terms of pricing for dining. LaCocay is on our list for dining. I have read all good things about this place.

Thanks,
Jon and Tina
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 11:56 AM

As far as pesos vs dollars, I never use dollars in Mexico. Many places will accept dollars but you will almost always come out on the short end of that exchange--that is why they do it. Also, I just think it is easier to use pesos.
I think La Cocay will run you in the 30 to 35 dollar per person range. Can be more or less but worth it at any price.

I am in Mexico now--plan to be at La Cocay tomorrow.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Robert thanks! Enjoy your stay!