Looking for information about Cozemel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to take a week vacation in early May to Playa del Carmen or Cozemel. I've found some wonderful websites for PDC, but not much for Coz. Does anyone know of any or can give me recommendations for hotels. I'm looking at the Playa-Maya in PDC, not really interested in the AI mega resort. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Try spelling it Cozumel.

Playa Maya in PDC is very nice. We stayed there in April-May. Quiet and within walking distance of everything.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Spelling never has been my strong suit...thanks. I did find a chatroom through a fodors link. I think we should make Cozumel a day trip, PDC looks like there are more things to do. Thanks
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM

We usually try to go away for a couple of weeks at a time, but one year we just had a week. We've been to both Cozumel and PDC a few times, so we ended up spending 4 nights on Cozumel (it was carnival, so a terrific time to visit) and 3 nights in PDC. That worked out really well for us - there is a lot to do out of PDC, but Cozumel has wonderful snorkeling which we both love.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 09:55 PM

What beaches for snorkeling would you recommend in Cozumel?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 03:45 AM

For the beginning snorkeler, I'd recommend either Chanaknaab Park - they have stone steps with railings, a raft to rest on, and there is a lot to see, or a Catamaran trip to some of the offshore reefs like Palancar or Paradise.
We like Fury Cats, but they are a party crew! (Although I've seen lots of parents with kids on there.)
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:17 PM

We stayed at an Allegro Resort a few years ago in Cozumel. This particular resort offers great snorkling as well as many other activities. We met alot of divers that were thrilled. I suggest looking on the website for Debbies Caribbean. We learned alot from the reviews and message board.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:29 PM

http://cozumelmycozumel.com

has a wonderful forum board that will answer all your questions on Coz
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:31 AM

And for Scuba Diving info or other related Couzmel info, you may want to try www.Scuba-Diving-Cozumel.com.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I live in Cozumel and help out at a friend's tour company as a guide, so I am happy to give you any info on Coz. My favorite Coz message board is at www.islacozumel.net. Click on Bulletin board on the menu. You'll also find lots of good info on that website about Cozumel.

Both Coz and PDC are great places for a vacation, but they are very different from each other. Cozumel has more of a community feeling, it's definitely safer and I think friendlier too. We don't have as many restaurants or big hotels, but we do have a coastline on the east side that is spectacular, you can walk on a white sandy beach for miles and never see a soul during the week. However, we do have cruise ships, unfortunately, that crowd the waterfront area during the day. But that's when most people are out diving, snorkeling, or enjoying a beach somewhere anyway. Shopping is great at night, no crowds and a pleasant stroll on the waterfront.

PDC has grown a lot over the years, it's a favorite vacation spot for Europeans, many of the hotels and restaurants there are owned by Europeans, so the whole place has a different "feel" to it. It seems to be busy all the time, even at night. This is not a quiet, peaceful place, but it is fun with lots going on all the time. Shopping is really good in PDC and the beach is very nice too. Those of us "ex-pats" here in Coz, go over to PDC to shop (they have a Sam's Club there) and usually make a day of it, shopping and going to a good restaurant, then taking the ferry back to Cozumel.

Whichever place you choose, try to plan a day trip to the other place just to see the difference and see which one might appeal to you for your next trip. Have fun!!!!