Search

BELIZE RESORTS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BELIZE RESORTS

My husband and I are planning to go to Belize in January. I was looking into the Bannana Beach resort or Banyan Bay. Any information would be greatly appreciated. My husband dives I do not. Does anyone know if Amigo del mar dive shop picks up at either resorts. Thanks.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 03:13 AM

Banyan Bay are all 2 bdrm condos on a large property with large exposed outdoor pool, restaurant on the pier, well done rooms, great staff. Banana Beach has a variety of different room types, also well staffed, restaurant on premises with two courtyard pools. Both consistantly please guests snd offer good value for the money. Once you are fitted for gear, Amigos can poick you up on the pier at either condotel.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 03:21 AM

I stayed at the Banana Beach resort a couple of years ago and it was very nice...we had a golf cart for the week and sometimes walked into town on the beach since it was very rainy. Banyan Bay more upscale..we ate at their seaside restaurant a few times..close to BB.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:26 AM

I gave them both a star (highly recommended) in Fodor's Belize & Guatemala 2005, which I co-authored and updated.

In another book I rated Villas at Banyan Bay 4 1/2 stars and Banana Beach 4 stars.

I've stayed at both and think they're both terrific. Banyan Bay is more luxe and with much larger suites (2 BR, 2 baths, full kitchen, living room, 1000 sq. ft) but it is more expensive.

They're both in the same area about 1 1/2 miles south of town.

Yes, Amigos del Mar and most dive other shops will pick up at most resorts.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 03:20 PM

How does Xanadu compare to Banyan Bay?
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help, just a couple more questions, How do the beaches compare for both places?????? Do they all have alot of seagrass?????
Are there other private beaches or places to go?????
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 03:02 AM

Banana and Xanadu both have sea walls. I'd say Banyan Bay has the better beach. I quite like Xanandu's condos-they are condos for people who don't like the look of western style condos. No private beaches. Some hotels remove the turtle grass in front and some don't. If they have removed it, I would complain to mgmt and let them know you came to Belize to see the very same marine life that uses the turtle grasss as a nursery.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 05:20 AM

I agree with Katie. The beach at Banyan Bay (Mar de Tumbo) is one of the best on the island, but Banana Beach and Xanadu aren't far away so you can walk a little ways and swim there. Plus, beaches aren't private in Belize and also basically there is just one long beachfront along the east side of the island. It's not as if there is a beach here and a beach there -- it's all beachfront.

As Katie says, seagrass is a good thing. It's nature's nursery for little fish and other sea creatures and it's part of the same barrier reef ecosysystem. I don't object too much for a hotel to remove sea grass from a small area at the end of a pier but if done on any scale it can change the ecosystem.

--Lan Sluder
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 05:23 AM

On Xanadu, I'd say it is somewhere in between Banyan Bay and Banana Beach in terms of amenities, unit size and "deluxeness." And also in price.

They're all three very good places, each with pluses and minuses.

I think essentially most of the time the pricing reflects the differences.

--Lan Sluder
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:03 AM

What are the minuses of Banyan Bay?
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Minuses of Banyan Bay? Usually more expensive than the others (though they occasionally have deals), certainly far more expensive than the regular rooms at Banana Beach, and staff not as friendly as at Banana Beach.

--Lan Sluder
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 12:19 PM

If you want a rustic but A/C resort on it's own island I would suggest you consider Lighthouse Reef Resort. The dive operation is quite good. They offer snorkelers a number of good small reef areas to take you to each day. You must go Sat.-Sat. They fly you out from Belize City airport. The food was fairly good home cooking all 4 times we visited the place over the years. The cost is about $1600/wk+ for divers and a few hundred less for non-divers.
The only drawback is they only accommodate about 30 guests so it is ulta-quiet at night. Request a beach cabana unit. They are clean and neat-not fancy.
Lastly for your husband it is the nearest island to the Blue Hole, a must for most divers. Some resorts take 2 hours to get there while you are only 40 minutes from it. The snorkeling around it is fabulous but I must admit our last trip was in Feb. 2002.
I do not work for or own the resort!!