Need help finding resort in Belize

Oct 24th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Sara

Need help finding resort in Belize

Looking to go to Belize in January. Typically have stayed in All Inclusives in mexico and have really enjoyed this. I am looking for opinions on a two different resorts. Journey's End and Villa's at Banyan Bay. Is there any type of resort that offers a nice all inclusive. I like not having to worry about prices once I am on vacation. Also a question a lot of the resorts offer full kitchens how far is it to grocery markets, etc.

Oct 24th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Lan Sluder

Sara,

Belize really isn't an all-inclusive kind of destination. Especially in areas such as Ambergris Caye there are so many good restaurants and a variety of things to do and places to see that it would be a shame to be stuck at an all-inclusive.

Journey's End isn't a true all-inclusive but it does offer an all-inclusive package. It's okay if you can get a good deal but it is certainly not one of the top places on the island.

Villas at Banyan Bay is a very nice condotel, about 1 1/2 miles south of San Pedro Town. Large, 1000 sq.ft two-bedroom, two-bath units (one bath with whirlpool), full kitchen, living area, balcony, A/C. Nice beach, huge pool. There are several small groceries on the island -- nearest one is maybe 3/4 of a mile away from Banyan Bay, Island Grocery. Renting a golf cart is a good away to get around if you are staying south of town such as at Banyan Bay.

For tons of information on Ambergris Caye, check out www.ambergriscaye.com.

--Lan Sluder
San Pedro Cool, Adapter Kit: Belize, Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide, etc.

Oct 24th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Sara

Great that is what I was thinking is that it is not an all inclusive destination. Can you give me an idea of what we would want to Budget for food and eating out for week ? Also I have found a pretty decent rate at Banana Beach Resort. The reviews are pretty good for this resort as well. Any opinions anyone.

Oct 24th, 2002, 10:54 AM
BD

Sara -

I know that Lan has spoken highly of Banana Beach and I have been thinking about going there also in January. Do you mind passing on the "decent rate" and where you found it?

Oct 24th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Lan Sluder

I do like Banana Beach - good management, nice rooms and suites, very good value. It recently has expanded to about 65 rooms, added a second pool and is opening a new steak house restaurant.

As to eating in San Pedro, you can spend about what you want, from nearly nothing to $30+ a person. You can eat for a couple of bucks at the street vendors at the park (and it's safe to do so). Or eat at a local place like Antojitos Santelmo, Los Cocos, Master Lee's or The Reef for five bucks for a filling meal. Or get a great seafood or chicken dinner at Papi's for $10. Or eat fancy seafood for US$25 to $30 at Capricorn or Blue Water Grille. Beer and local drinks are US$2 to $3.

--Lan Sluder

Oct 24th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Sara

They advertised the rates on their website, were only around 85.00 per night.

Oct 24th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Sara

They advertised the rates on their website, were only around 85.00 per night.

Oct 25th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Lan Sluder

Rates at Banana Beach vary a lot depending on the type and location of room. Formerly they just had one-bedroom suites; now with the addition they have everything from regular rooms to four-bedroom suites.

The cheapest are the rooms and suites not on the water. The best are the suites, both in the original building and the new one, that are seafront on the second and third floors. They are right on the sea. More expensive, but I think worth it.

--Lan Sluder

Nov 7th, 2002, 05:36 AM
just back from belize

All-inclusives are very hard to find in Belize. We stayed at Portofino resort just north of San Pedro on Ambergris ( http://www.portofinobelize.com/index.html ). They have some package deals, and when you eat at their restaurant, they just add it to your final bill. Plus they have a great continental breakfast that is included with your room. No kitchens, though.

A couple of places we enjoyed eating (and weren't expensive) were Jambel, Elvia's, and Caliente. And, if you are in a touristy mood, every Wednesday evening at Pier Bar, they have the chicken drop, probably the silliest game ever.

Have fun on your trip. Belize is wonderful!