Ambergris Caye resorts

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ambergris Caye resorts

We have a group of 3 couples going to Ambergris Caye in September. We are looking for a place to stay that is close to town (and the bars)with nice accomodations ($130 -$170/night), and fun. We love the idea of a cabana or casista on the beach, maybe even a mosquito-netted bed. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, Three of us girls just returned from AC a week ago, we stayed in the Belize Yacht Club. (not as hoity toity as it sounds) Very nice one/two or three bedroom condos built in fours, two one bedroom units downstairs that can connect with the upstairs. Check their rates at their website. http://www.belizeyachtclub.com/

Five minute walk to town, we only took a taxi twice in the week we were there. Once from the airport and once back to the airport. Everything is very easy to get to. We are already planning to go back next year with our men! Fabulous place, and lots to see and do!

RC
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd look at these small condotels: The Palms, which is at the south edge of town; Xanadu, which is maybe 1/2 mile south of town, but within walking distance; Mayan Princess, in town and a great value (probaly US$75 in September, the slowest month of the year for tourism in Belize); and Paradise Villas, at the north end of town.

Villas at Banyan Bay is terrific, as is Banana Beach, though these are 1 1/2 miles south of town. (You'd need to rent a golf cart.)

All of the above have suites and a few, including The Palms and Xanadu, have three bedroom units.

Individual cabanas are not so common on Ambergris Caye and those that are available (at Portofino, Mata Chica, Ramon's, Victoria House and a few others) tend to be more expensive. An exception is Paradise Hotel, at the north end of town near Paradise Villas.

Mosquito nets? None that I can think. Air conditioning (you'll need it in September) and screens keep bugs out.

--Lan Sluder
<San Pedro Cool, the Guide to Ambergris Caye ... and six other books on Belize>
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:40 AM
TC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stayed at Villas of Banyan Bay and loved it. I didn't think it was TOO far from town. We just walked the beach to and fro. There was a great little place next door that we used for breakfast each morning. Can't remember the name - Lan??? I just recall that is was decorated with all manner of shells on the walls. Great food. It is also an easy walk to Victoria House. Beautiful beach at Villas - great staff.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The place near Banyan Bay with the seashells and crabs on display is the restaurant at Tropica.

--Lan Sluder