Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Places to stay in Ambergris Caye? Xanadu or Banyan Bay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (2 adults, 2 kids) are planning to travel to Belize for the first time this winter/spring, and have been looking for places on Ambergris Caye. From what we've seen, Xanadu and Banyan Bay seem to be sort of what we're looking for- nice pool for the kids, reasonably nice beach, look like nice suites.

It's hard to tell if Xanadu has a good beach or not, looks sort of rocky at the edge, whereas BBay looks like a nicer beach. It's so hard to tell from photos, however, so I'd love to hear from anyone who has had experience with either place. Thanks!!
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Banyan Bay property is much larger than most of the other hotels, two pools, restaurant on premises, nice large stretch of walk in beach. Both are very good condo hotels and heard to compete with Banyan Bay when it comes to space.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 06:59 AM

I've stayed at Banyan Bay and have toured Xanadu a few times. Both are very nice places. Overall, I'd give the edge to Banyan Bay, which I think is the top condotel on the island. The units are very large (1000 sq. ft. +), with two bedrooms and two baths, nicely furnished and well-maintained. The beach at Banyan Bay is far better than at Xanadu, where there's a seawall. Banyan Bay also has a larger pool and a restaurant on-site (Rico's is a little pricey and generally just so-so, but the setting is beautiful, right on the water, and it's great for breakfast or a snack.)

Banyan Bay and Xanadu both get a good number of families, but Banyan Bay is larger so it usually seems like there are more there.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 07:06 PM

I would support what Lan has said, mainly because we took much of his advice before we traveled to Belize last year.

We stayed at Xanadu. It was very nice. As much we liked Xanadu, Banyon looks a bit nicer. The beach is definately better. We couldn't help but notice, because it's right next door to Xanadu.

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the quick and informative replies! Just booked a week at Banyan Bay, and looking forward to our first time in Belize.

Thanks again for all your help!!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:52 PM

We too are planning a family (2 adults, 1 10 yr old son)holiday in Belize for the first time. We are also looking into Xanadu and Banyan Bay, as well as Captain Morgans. We are beach lovers and would love to hear how these 3 places compare. Any additional comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM

CM is more of a hotel than condo, although they have time shares and rooms with kitchens on premises. More tropial looking than the other two, pool, north of town, across the river, so you'll need to get a water taxi back and forth at night. In the day you can use a bike, golf cart or foot. Was one of the hotel featured in Temptation Island, but not sure thats anything to be proud of...has one of the better stretches of beach on the island.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Captain Morgan's has the most obnoxious timeshare hawkers in Belize. For that reason alone I'd avoid it.

Banyan Bay really is the class of the condotels on Ambergris.

--Lan Sluder