Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which of these Vienna hotels would you choose?

Aug 24th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Choices so far are between
Hotel Admiral
Hotel Wandl
Hotel Fuerstenhof
Any and all feedback appreciated.
Aug 24th, 2004, 01:48 PM

I stayed at Hotel Wandl in 2002. They were fine, as far as I was concerned. Central location, very near a church (I forget which). Sorry that I can't be too specific, but my priorities for hotels are usually pretty simple -- clean, central, etc. So it's a good sign that I don't remember much of it -- oh yes, we borrowed an umbrella from the reception one night when it rained, and they lent it to us. I sort of remember this because we tried to go to a snooty restaurant around the corner that wouldn't seat us.
Aug 24th, 2004, 04:32 PM

I have stayed at the Fuerstenhof and found it to be a fantastic place, in spite of what some more snobby people say in this forum. It is not in City Center, however; access to the U-bahn, trams and buses are right in the square infront of the hotel. You can be at Stephansdom in less than 10 min. by the U-bahn. The staff is great and they serve a huge breakfast buffet that is included in the price. I also believe that they still offer a discount when booking over the net. I just sent my mother in-law and her group of 15 students ther last May and they raved about the place.
Have a great time!
Aug 24th, 2004, 05:53 PM

I've stayed at the Admiral twice. It's very convenient if you have a car because they have nearby parking spaces for guests. They are located right behind the Museum Quartier off Mariahilferstr. and just a quick walk from the Ringstrasse and UBahn. I would have no problem staying there again.
Aug 24th, 2004, 06:34 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Fuerstenhof and loved it. The double rooms were very large. The king bed was very comfortable. The frontdesk staff all spoke English so that was a big help. The buffet breakfast was filling with all kinds of German meats, cereals,pastries,breads, boiled eggs,juices,cheeses,coffees,teas,milk, etc. The Westbaunhof station is right across the street so transportation(Ubahn,trains,streetcars) is a breeze. You can also walk to the middle of Vienna in 15-20 minutes along a shopping mall setting. They have a coffeeshop/bar right next door that opens early and closes very late with very good local dishes(but no one speaks English and there are no English menus). I would stay there again in a heartbeat! Enjoy Vienna. Aloha!
Aug 24th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

OPERAMAN HAWAIINTRAVELER
Thanks for the info on the hotel Fuerstenhof. I understood it to be in a seedy neighborhood. Not so?
Aug 24th, 2004, 07:30 PM

No not at all John. It isn't in the "richest" section of town but not seedy by any means.
Aug 24th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Second hawaiiantraveler on the neighborhood. There is a poster on this forum who calls this area crap, but I regard him as an absolute snob with no sense of adventure. The staff and hotel are wonderful; you will be lodged in a place where, although the staff speaks English, the guests mainly speak German. To me it beats the hell out of a place where most all the guests speak English. Where is the adventure with that?
I can also recommend the Zur Agnes which is in Sievering, a little quiet suburb near Grinzing; it is another place where you will have a great stay with few English speakers around. Check my site:
http://alexstarke.tripod.com/
I have the Zur Agnes listed on my links page along with some great places to eat.
When are you going to be in Vienna?
Aug 25th, 2004, 12:41 AM
viennese

Hotel Wandl is located on Petersplatz (Peters square), just behind Peters church (which is a beautiful baroque church). It is in the centre of Vienna 200 m from St.Stephans square, right next to the Graben with its pedestrian zone and shops. So staying there means you are in the middle of the city center.

www.hotel-wandl.com