Vienna Hotels - Sacher and Others

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any updated information regarding the construction that the Sacher is currently undergoing? Also, any other suggestions for Vienna hotels would be appreciated. The Imperial and Bristol are likely out of our price range. Thanks.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:52 PM

RE otehr hotels:

The Meridien is on the Ring, is paralyzingly smart and sometimes has good weekend rates.

The K+K is a little less central (but still central -- maybe it is considered to be in the "Spittelberg" neighbourhood?????). I have only visited the lobby...anyway the website tells you all.

The Starlight suites (Starlight Suiten) in Renngasse is very central, a fastidiously clean, modern and convenient (if slightly austere-feeling) suite-hotel.

Lots more info on this site if you check old threads.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Good morning,, we have been pleased for a couple of times by using the HOTEL MAILBERGERHOF in Annagasse, which is about two blocks west of the
Sacher off the Kartnerstrasse. It is a quite hotel in the middle of the block and quite nice.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:01 AM
MaureenB

We loved the Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth. It's right in the middle of old Vienna, around the corner from the Stephansdom, on a relatively quiet street. Very elegant, good service, impeccably clean, great breakfast room and buffet. Also less than a block from the U-Bahn. Nice large 'apartments' for our family of four. Very highly recommend it.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:48 AM
MaureenB

P.S. The Sacher had scaffolding on its walls in June, but I don't know the construction schedule. I will say that I was put off by a very snobby doorman. He snubbed my 19-year-old daughter and I, when we inquired about the hotel. I guess we weren't dressed up enough to warrant a decent response from him. Needless to say, we'd never stay there.

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Construction continues at the Sacher. Cranes and construction equipment everywhere. Although lower floors appear completed, they now build new penthouse suites that should take many months complete.
While I a not related to the Doormen there, I should defend them as they are continually bothered by tourists asking all sorts of questions and wanting to take photos in or near the entrance.
This causes much conjestion to the point of blocking this small area in front of the hotel for guests.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 09:53 AM
MaureenB

From a marketing/sales point-of-view, there are better ways the Sacher could deal with so many potential customers interested in their hotel than to turn them away with rudeness. Maybe find a profitable way to serve them?? Seems like a big opportunity lost otherwise.

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 10:38 AM

The Sacher has done this. I assume that you saw the large shop at the corner of the hotel ( Sacher Eck) where you can purchase Sacher Torte and many other items. This collection includes everything from coffee service to shirts.
I believe that most potential patrons of the hotel would enquire at the Reception not at the Doorman.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 12:24 PM
MaureenB

We couldn't enquire at the reception desk, because the doorman wouldn't let us in the door! That was the whole problem, in addition to his rudeness. So, no, we didn't get to see the gift shop or anything else but the doorman's sour face.

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 12:16 AM

I do not wish to add to this but I must advise you that the shop has a separate doorway( without Doorman) that permits easy access.
Also the general public has access to the restaurants and bars with ease.
What did you do to this poor Doorman?
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 09:04 AM
MaureenB

You're right, we shouldn't hi-jack this thread for this relatively insignificant event. I need to clarify, however, that we did nothing to the "poor doorman". We thanked him for his time (despite his unpleasantness, we did not return his rudeness in kind).
I think with the scaffolding all around the base of the hotel at the time, it wasn't clear where people could enter safely, so I had approached him and asked if we could enter the lobby where he was standing. He indicated very rudely that it was for hotel guests only to enter the hotel. I figured it was hotel policy that people couldn't enter the lobby or gift shop or whateverelse inside without being a paying guest there.
Period. End of story.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:50 PM

The doorman's rudeness sounds credible to me. We have been to Vienna several times, and especially the first time many people seemed quite rude. Once we had lunch at a very posh restaurant and were asked to move to a different table! They began to respect us only when my husband resolutely refused...
However, each time we come back to Vienna (we've been 5 times or so) people seem to be a bit friendlier. (Perhaps because we're getting older...? Vienna has always seemed to me to be a place for middle-aged/elderly people.) We'll be going back to Vienna in a few weeks, have booked a room at Le Meridien Hotel (at a surprisingly good Internet rate). Looking forward to it!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:39 AM

Carola22, please let me know how your stay at the Meridien goes. I have a trip to Vienna in about 6 weeks and have booked a room there also.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 01:40 AM

Haven't been yet; we're going February 11-19. We decided to upgrade to a bigger room, since internet prices were so reasonable. I called the hotel itself about this (NOT the central reservations office, because we had a prepaid internet booking that could not be changed by them) and they seemed very friendly and helpful; I just spoke to them again yesterday to check if all was OK with the change, and they asked me if we had preference for a particular room location (smoking or not, high floor, courtyard or street, etc.) so I gave them a few specifications which they noted. So everything looks great so far, I'll definitely post a report when we get back. Looking forward to it!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:12 AM

BTILKE - We stayed at the Meridien last May. We loved the hotel and the location and would highly recommed it. I picked that hotel based on the many posts on tripadvisor.com. We had an expensive internet rate and were treated very well. Check out tripadvisor if you want information from a lot of people who stayed there including one from me.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I stayed at Le Meridian last week and it was excellent - huge room, great design, helpful staff and a fantastic location. I'll definitely stay there again next time I'm in Vienna.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:49 AM

I also had very good experiences with Le Meridien in Wien. The location is good and the concierge service is excellent, as is the pool and health club. Rooms are modern and designer style with plasma screens and Ligne Roset beds and badrooms equipped with very nice showers and Hermes products. Truly one if the best chain hotels I' ve stayed. The only fact I didn't like, was that they ask 26 euros for a breakfast buffet per person which turns out to nothing special.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:40 PM

Thanks for all the Meridien info. I'm booked in for six nights, the leisure part of my trip. I may end up staying 11 nights, depending on convention hotel assignment (it's been requested, but haven't heard back yet). Can't wait...I love Vienna, especially in the winter! Crossing my fingers that it will snow during this trip at least as much as it did when I was there last winter.