hotels in Vienna

Search

hotels in Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels in Vienna

Will be in Vienna the middle of February dan anybody recommend a hotel which is friendly and centrally located? Thank you.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 01:11 PM

What did you want to spend per night?
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Senior, did you do a search on Vienna Hotels here at Fodors? There was a thread on this just the other day so I'm sure you can find lots of recommendations. Many of us have our favorites that we always recommend. Mine is the Admiral Hotel.

http://www.admiral.co.at/index1.htm
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 03:30 PM

Senior,

We stayed at the Tourotel the last time we were in Vienna. It is close to the West Train Station and right on a Tram line. Less than $100 (before the shift to the strong Euro), excellent staff and a good restrauant. Also try this Website, http://city-apartment.com/links/, lots of good Vienna information. Have a good trip.

Greg
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 06:45 PM

I have stayed in two hotels in Vienna.
Der Altwienerhof and the Carlton Opera.
The Altwienerhof is a little south of the Westbahnhof. It has a 5 star restaurant associated with it, but the hotel it self is/was reasonably priced.
The location might be subject to debate, but we had no trouble at all in the working class neighborhood. A bus line that went right to the Hofburg was about 125 yards away, and one of the U-bahn routes had a stop even closer.
The Westbahnhof was a short cab ride north.

The two outstanding features of the hotel room itself were two: the bathrooms and the breakfast. The bathrooms had been recently done and were actually somewhat lavish. The breakfast often had some of the deserts left over from the restaurant. Given my sweet tooth, I was in my element. The rest of it was a typical German-Austrian type breakfast -- anything you might want I think.

The Carlton Opera was located just of the Ring, a little to the southeast.
It was a good hotel too, of the middle of the road variety. The breakfast was fabulous, the bathrooms nice with real showers, and the beds were double our normal twin size. A real "double" bed.

In both cases the staff spoke very good English and were very helpful with various matters. I got a charge out of the huge cat that ran the Altwienerhof. He left no doubt as to who was in charge: he was.

If you go to the Altwienerhof, try to get a room away from the street. I don't think street sounds will bother you in either case because the windows will be closed. We were there in early September and we were glad the Carlton Opera was air conditioned and we could keep the double framed windows closed.

One farther item about Der Altwierhof, the U-bahn line is about 3 or 4 stops away from Schönbrunn Palace.

Old Dec 5th, 2003, 08:34 AM

I like the Altwienerhof a lot also, but "centrally located" it isn't. If you want a central location near the Graben and St. Stephan's cathedral, there are lots of choices. My personal favorite is the Konig von Ungarn, but it can sometimes be a bit pricey. There are several nice pensions centrally located also; I recall Nossek and City as two of them. Good luck.
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 08:02 PM

Check out Hotelpension Arenberg, 4* inside the Ring. It is a Best Western so you can get your AARP discount, if your penname is correct. It is about a 5 minute walk to Stephensplatz, 2 minutes to U-Bahn.
Another is Hotel Drei Kronen, 3* and just outside the Ring. There is a nice open air market across the street and a grocery store in the next block. It is about 3 minutes to nearest U-Bahn and 8 minutes to Opera.