Vienna hotel advice

Search

Vienna hotel advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna hotel advice

Here's a shortlist of hotels for my visit to Vienna next month - they all have availability:

Pension Pertschy 125E
Pension Nossek 110E
Hotel Austria 119E
Hotel Drei Kronen

We want something with a great location, quiet and comfortable but as inexpensive as possible. Any comments, feedback, etc will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 12:56 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Austria three years ago. It was an easy walk to the pedestrian area and a metro station--but it is at the other end of the pedestrian street from the opera house. It's located at the end of a very narrow quiet street a few hundred feet long. The staff was pleasant and helpful. When I checked in, they gave me a map and pointed out the location of the hotel and major tourist sites. The breakfast buffet was good and more than adequate--and I think included in the room rate. The room I had was small and simple, but clean and comfortable. I had a single so I don't know how the other rooms are.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Hi!

We stayed at the Pension Pertschy in February and were very pleased. The rooms were nice and fairly large (for Europe), they had a great breakfast that came with the room, and the location was great. Very central...right off of Graben and a very short walk from St. Stephens. I would recommend it.

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:35 PM

I'm sure all of the hotels you mentioned are fine, but on our last 2 trips to Vienna we have stayed at the Admiral Hotel right behind the Museum Quartier off of Mariahilferstrasse. It's only a 5 minute walk to the Ringstrasse and the Ubahn. Another couple of minutes down Kaertnerstrasse and you're at St. Stephen's Cathedral.

Their rates are very reasonable and the rooms are quite modern and clean.

Their website address is www.admiral.co.at.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 11:43 PM

My wife and I returned yesterday from two weeks in Vienna and we stayed at the Hotel Altstadt on the Kirchengasse. I can thoroughly recommend it. From the outside, you would hardly know it was there, but once inside it has a nice quaint feeling about it. Our room on the fifth floor at the back was huge (25feet by 25feet). It had 10 foot ceilings, 2 feet thick walls, double doors and a view over the roof tops of Vienna. It was the quietest room I have ever slept in. The reception ladies are wonderful and have an excellent command of English. There are many good restaurants about a five minute walk away and it is only a ten minute walk to the Museum Quarter. Even the subway is only a seven minute walk. You can't go wrong. We paid 149 Euros per night and by Vienna standards, that was good.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:57 AM

We stayed at the Admiral - the staff weren't the nicest, but it was a good hotel. Pension Nossek is RIGHT ON THE GRABEN! Beautiful street and the heart of everything. They don't take credit cards though so if you are willing to pay for your stay in cash, go for it.

~gnr~
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 11:05 AM

grn, I'm sorry you didn't find the staff at the Admiral very nice. We've always found just the opposite. Of course, we do speak some German which helps since some of the staff may have limited English.

I know there are other great reasonably priced hotels in the area, but we really like the Admiral because they have parking spaces for their guests. If you aren't driving, then that's not a problem.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Overall we liked the Admiral, but even when I would try German, they would seem irritated and just switch to English and not in the friendly way that Italians do it, that acknowledges that you tried.

This was only the front desk staff. The breakfast room staff spoke no English and they were very nice.

<font color=#990033>~gnr~</font>