vienna hotel in center

Search

vienna hotel in center

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vienna hotel in center

I have been forever searching hotels in the center of Vienna. I can't believe how many hotels fit in the center! I have found one as mentioned in the title that seems to fit us. Canj anyone recommend another similar? We would like a 4 star withing walking distance of all the usual tourist attractions costing around $225 - $250 or slightly more.I checked Kaiserin elizabeth just off Stephansplatz and the onlly prices or reviews are a couple of years old which made me wonder if the name has changed. I checked many many others but there was a problem with each. Mostly more expensive!

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:22 PM

The Kaiserin Elisabeth is a wonderful hotel in a great central spot. Im sure its still using that name. Have you visited their website and emailed them? They were very responsive via email when we stayed there about 5 years ago.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM

Our family stayed at the Konig Von Ungarn in the very center of Vienna three years ago. It's a four star and it was lovely. We still talk about the fabulous breakfast. We had a wonderful "family" room, with the kids' twin bedroom connected to our room through a staircase. It was within a one-minute walk of Stephansplatz. Last fall my husband and I stayed at a very nice 3-star, about a 15 minute walk from Stephansplatz, called Hotel Erzherzog Rainer. Seemed like a lot of business people stayed there - it was lovely and well-run. Good luck and enjoy Vienna!
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:22 AM

Kaiserin Elisabeth Hotel

www.kaiserinelisabeth.at

Stiil the same name for many years. This is a fine well regarded hotel . Certainly many reviews exist as it is a most popular hotel - fine austrian style- some recent renovations too

Konig von Ungarn is also good and well located in the center -
rooms on the front by the street can be noisy at times as this one way street can be busy espaecially early in the morning - some rooms toward the back perhaps more quiet .
Also excelent and well located very close to the Hofburg Palace on Herrengasse filled with city palaces and also the famoua Cafe Central

Steigenberger Herrenhof-- relatively new in an old renovated building

Style Hotel - very nice

Both of the above offer their fine location- as near to the Palace , shopping , fine dining, U-3 just 1 minute walk and bus 1A, 2A and 3A pass by next to the cafe Central.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:23 AM

Konig von Ungarn website

www.kvu.at
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 01:54 AM

I just recently recommended Konig von Ungarn to another poster. It could not be more centrally located, just behind the cathedral, with overall excellent accommodation, service, etc.

And, just to add, based on the recent PP, GJ, Zep, etc. thread, I do NOT have any vested interest in this hotel. I do always recommend it when queries are in this price range. I have been to Vienna around 8 times; this hotel was the best fit for me and excellent value for money without being OTT. Well, that's the disclaimer taken care of.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 09:43 AM

How is Le Meridian Vienna? It says it's right next to the opera house, but never having been to Vienna, I don't know how close it really is. It sometimes sells rooms for low rates on the internet, tho it may not be what you had in mind.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 10:26 AM

We stay in the Kaiserin Elisabeth every time we go to Vienna and it is a wonderful hotel. The gentlemen who staff the front desk are incredibly helpful and professional (Herr Pour is our personal favorite). The buffet breakfast is excellent and the ladies will make you whatever you want if you can't find it on the buffet. Best is its location. Walk out the front door (which is on a quiet street), turn right and in 1/2 block you are on the Karntner Strasse - the main drag of the city center.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM

For what you are looking for, I would also recommend the Konig von Ungarn, centrally located, decently priced, good breakfast included in the price. It does have to be booked well in advance, just a warning.

Alternatively, and although more downscale and remains modest in its furnishings (kind of like visiting an old Vienna aunt), I would recommend the less expensive Hotel Karntnerhof, located on a quiet side street (Grashofgasse), but again centrally located, a few blocks from the Stephansplatz. It's a three star hotel with pretty large rooms, and again, breakfast and taxes included.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In the same neighborhood and 3-star category as the Kartnerhof (recommended by HuisClos) is the Hotel Austria:

http://www.hotelaustria-wien.at/en/h...ria/index.html

The Austria is very highly rated on TripAdvisor, and we had a very pleasant stay there. Its location is quieter than the area around Stephansdom and just a couple of blocks from the Schwedenplatz where you can catch the metro lines U1 and U4 (to Schonbrunn) as well as the bus to/from the airport.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Tthank you all so much for your suggestions. I'm investigating all of them. I much prefer to get references like this from TA fans than just picking out of the blue. I appreciate your time in responding.