Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Paris convenient to 3 locations

Old Aug 24th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Paris next week and would like to be located conveniently (by simple public transport) to the Gare du Lyon, to CDG airport, and to buses or trains going to Normandy (D-Day sites)? Anywhere (specific hotel name or at least Metro location) that might meet at least 2 of the 3 criteria? We are 2 frugal adults with simple taste (clean, hot water, comfy mattress, quiet enough to sleep, and excellent bathroom access. Thanks.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 12:18 AM

That's not an impossible request, but I do hope you've looked at a map and realized that those 3 places are fairly well dispersed. CDG is about 45 minutes outside the city no matter what form of transportation you use (and you have several options). Gare de Lyon and Gare St-Lazare (from which you'd take a train to Bayeux or Caen to get to Normandy) are close to each other, so I'd find a hotel near the Gare de Lyon. Sounds like you need to do some further research.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 07:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
But you are traveling next week -- you may not have a lot of choices. I'd jump on booking.com and look for basic availability.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 07:30 AM

Buses don't go to Normandy from Paris to visit DDay sites. at least not public buses (some expensive day tours do). I don't believe trains go from Gare de Lyon to Bayeux, only from Gare St Lazare.

You could pick one spot and be near one of those points (forgetting CDG), but otherwise you are in the middle of the city and convenient to both but not right near either.

It depends what is most important to you. If you are near Gare de Lyon, you can get on the RER easily enough to get to CDG that way, and an Air France bus stops there, also, which is convenient. But there is no direct metro line to Gare St Lazare from there, but you can get there with one transfer.

What are your plans for DDay things? If you want a day tour, you should have probably reserved it already, they do get booked up, but you can try (they leave from Bayeux generally). Overload and Normandy Sightseeing Tours are two who do that.

It depends what is most important to you. Hotels in the middle of that area (eg, around Opera) are a possibility, also.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 07:51 AM

Staying near Opera would put you close to the bus from CDG, direct RER train to the Gare de Lyon, and a direct metro line to Gare St Lazare.
https://www.ratp.fr/plan-metro
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 09:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have no specific recommendation to make but agreeing with janisj.

Since this is for next week, I'd get a Paris city map, and get on Booking.com and see what you can find in a "frugal" price range that is available.

I would take CDG out of the equasion (seeking 2 out of 3) because it's well outside the central city area and would not be convenient for the sight-seeing most people choose to do in Paris.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 09:23 AM

And once you hit the rentrée, which is essentially upon us, hotel prices rise significantly as Paris gets ready for the very expensive September-October season.
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 12:50 PM

If you stay around the Gare de Lyon or anywhere along Metro Line 14, you can easily get to the Gare St-Lazare. There are direct buses from Gare de Lyon to CDG Airport. Not the least expensive option, but comfortable and easy. We have stayed in the Hotel Terminus Lyon across the street from the Gare de Lyon. There are many other hotels in the neighborhood.

http://www.hotelterminuslyon.com/en/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_..._Line_14#Route

http://www.lebusdirect.com/en/