Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Gare de lyon to Charles De Gaulle airport

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:24 AM
mo

How long does it take to get from the gare de lyon to Charles de gualle airport international terminal? best way? taxi? other mode?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:51 AM
elvira

From Gare de Lyon, by cab, not rush hour - under 30 minutes. Via RER from Gare de Lyon, get line A and change at St Michel stop for B line to CDG. Allow at least an hour to 1 1/4 hours. The best public transport would be the AirFrance bus that stops right at Gare de Lyon. Probably 45 minutes to an hour, but about a 1/3 of the cost of a cab.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Daniel

The best website for this kind of info, at least from airport to city center: www.bradmans.com

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Bob Brown

I would estimate 45 minutes or more depending on the time of day because of traffic. The most reliable way in terms of time is to take the RER (light rail system) because it does not have to compete with highway traffic. But the RER is not the most friendly system to use if you have luggage.
The RER line to the airport is B3, with stops at CDG Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.
From Gare de Lyon, you need to go to the Chatelet les Halles station and change trains. Chatelet is a HUGE station, or at least it seems that way to me.
But, if you arrive there via RER train rather than Metro train you will be closer to your transfer point.
The airport is about 15 miles from the center of Paris. The trip by RER takes anywhere from 25 to 35 minutes from Gare du Nord. I would add 20 to 25 minutes for an RER trip from Gare de Lyon because the change of trains.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:53 PM
pam

I had the same questions - glad you asked it. "Elvira" - how does one get an Air France bus? DOes it have to be reserved? Does it make regular stops at Gare Lyon? Do you have to be an Air France passenger to use it? Sounds like it could be the least cumbersome of all the choices.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Sue

The Air France Bus is great, and you don't need a reservation, just pay the driver. I took it to and from CDG to Gare Montparnasse and it stopped at Gare de Lyon. No, you don't need to be an Air France passenger. I think it was somewhere around 11 euros one way. Very comfortable and hassle-free. It will definitely be my mode of transportation from now on!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Sue

I forgot to tell you, the Air France Bus definitely makes regular stop at Gare de Lyon, and took around 50 minutes from Montparnasse, less of course from gare de Lyon.