Search

Where to go from Stockholm...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2016, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go from Stockholm...

Hi Fordorites,
Have hit a hiccup with our itinerary. Following a Baltic cruise beginning in Amsterdam and ending in Stockholm, we plan to spend a couple of extra days in Stockholm and then move on elsewhere for a total of 7 days before then flying home to Australia. Had planned to fly Stockholm to Berlin for 5 days but the connections for the long haul flight from there are not great. We need to fly out of Hamburg or even Warsaw....any suggestions for the itinerary...it would be good to focus on the Baltic area as we may not be back, just not sure what else to see around there. Stockholm is touted as a place to spend some time. We are not driving and are not hikers so remoter areas are not options...
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 04:39 AM

I can only suggest the same thing as on your original post, which is Copenhagen. It seems to be the most obvious and easiest city to add to your itinerary.

I am still assuming you are covering the Baltic capitals of Tallin and Riga on your cruise, if not, then these could be good options as well.

Stockholm is a beautiful city especially in the summer, how many days are you allocating there?
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 04:55 AM

First,I would allow at last 5 full days for Stockholm - which is a gorgeous and fascinating city with tons to see and do. And agree that Copenhagen - good for at least 4 days including a day trip to Roskild would be the obvious partner.

If Stockholm is best for flight returning home, then head rom the cruise direct to Copenhagen and return to Stockholm afterwards.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 05:03 AM

The train from Berlin to Hamburg takes 1:42.

You could even spend some time in Northern Germany. Hamburg has many attractions. Nearby is Lübeck, a charming medieval town on the Baltic Sea with a nice seaside resort, Travemünde. Wismar is a picturesque Hanseatic City. Schwerin has a gorgeous castle.

You can fly from Stockholm to Berlin, spend two or three days there, then ride to Hamburg, maybe with a sightseeing stop in Schwerin, and spend a few days in Hamburg, with a daytrip to Lübeck (1 hour by train).
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

That's really helpful thanks, I know I need to allocate a good chunk of time to Stockholm, there are 2 nights included on the cruise and we will stay on afterwards. We pause in Copenhagen for 2 days so I wont want to backtrack there. Thankyou traveller1959, those German cities/ideas give me another option to consider I just didnt want to leave Stockholm if there were other places around there that we should see while we were in the area. We will return another year and visit the Norwegian fjords.