Search

Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug

Denmark ,Sweden or both ??
Our 14 yr old son is representing Australia in the 4.7 world sailing regatta in Kiel Germany at the end of July for around 2 week have just 8 days afterwards mid august to travel around .
Coming from Australia , we really have no idea of what to see in this part of the world and would love any suggestions of what to do and see .
We will be flying out of Copenhagen back to Australia so have chosen 3 nights there to finish our trip and would love some advice on what to see and do whilst we're there and more importantly what to do with the other 4/5 days .
We don't know weather to travel up through Denmark by train/ferry and visit the surrounding Danish towns/cities or to fly/train direct to Stockholm and spend all the time there or to try and see Uppsala or smaller coastal cities ?
We are well traveled and love emerging ourselves into cities as much as we love going off the beaten track.
We prefer to see/have more local and cultural experiences rather than full on touristy things and my son loves adventure/outdoor activities .
Can anyone tell me if its scenic to travel by train or is it better to save our time and fly direct if we choose to go to Stockholm ?
We will be leaving from either Kiel or Hamburg and are happy to use any means of transport .
Information on day trips from Kiel would be great to ??
Any suggestions and advice on where to go and what to see and do in both cities or countries given its such a short amount of time ,would be most welcome !!
Cheers Paula
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 10:16 PM
kja

It depends on your interests, but there is a real chance that you will have just barely enough time to see both Stockholm (about 5 days) and Copenhagen (about 3 days), so I think there is wisdom to the idea of flying directly to Stockholm. My recollection is that the scenery between Stockholm and Copenhagen is not so entrancing as to justify seeing it twice when time is limited.

With 5 days in Stockholm, you have time for a boat ride through its magnificent archipelago (definitely something I recommend!) and you might have time for Uppsala, depending on your other priorities.

With 3 days in Copenhagen, you probably have time for Roskilde, but not much else.

Again, though, depends on what you want to do...

It's a beautiful part of the world -- enjoy!
Old Jun 26th, 2016, 12:48 AM

8 days/7 nights is a good amount of time to see some of Denmark and Sweden, unless you need to see every single thing.

I've not been to Kiel but have passed through nearby Puttgarden on the way to Denmark and the surrounding area looks very attractive.

I would advise flying straight to Stockholm and have some nights there, then fly to Copenhagen and finish your trip there. It is not worth the drive or train between Stockholm and Copenhagen IMO and I have done that drive many many times however I have not taken the long way round down the east coast of Sweden, which you might like to do by rental car but then that might leave with you the issue of one way drop off between countries which can be expensive. Stockholm has congestion charge BTW.

4 nights in Stockholm and 3 nights in Copenhagen would be about right. Both cities tend to be weekend destinations for Europeans whereas most posters here are from the US so always want much more time to see places. A boat trip around the archipelago in Stockholm is a must, the Vasa museum etc. In Copenhagen, you can take the train northwards to Helsingoer to see Hamlet's castle and spend some time on the beach at Hornbæk, you can visit Roskilde if you want to see Viking ships, these are short trips from Copenhagen. You could also consider renting a car which will save you alot of time and you will get to see much more than if you take the train. In the evening, go to Tivoli Gardens and enjoy the gentle atmosphere of an old fashioned amusement park.
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply, I didn't refresh my page so have only just found the post's. Not very savvy !!
I thought as much with limited time . We can fly both ways , Hamburg - Stockholm , Stockholm - Copenhagen ??
Ive had mixed replies on the train rides being scenic ? Those from Sweden think its average and those from Denmark think its scenic ??
Cheers
Paula
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 02:48 AM

If we are talking about CPH-STO, the train takes a different route to the main road and is more scenic. It passes through forests & lakes which Sweden is largely made up of. It might be interesting if you have not seen it before. The landscape flat and agricultural in some areas. You pass close to houses sometimes. You said you like the outdoors, cultural activities and places ff the beaten track, that is what Sweden and Denmark is all about, esp in Sweden where outside the main cities there is little. Do one way train and fly back maybe.

Trains get booked up esp during summer (same as flights), there are border controls in Denmark too.