Copenhagen and Stockholm -- Splitting Time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2018, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, We are visiting both cities (Copenhagen and Stockholm) for the first time in late August. Will be traveling with our 4 year old. Any recommendations on how to split time between the 2 cities? If we have 6 days (excluding travel), do it evenly between the 2 or is one worthy of more than the other? We are taking an overnight cruise from Stockholm to Helsinki and planning on seeing the archipelago on that cruise instead of a separate excursion.

Thank you!
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 11:15 AM

IMO thinking both are worthy of same days - Copenhagen especially has many neat easy day trips - young kids will love some things at Tivoli. Trains are great between them but book well in advance - www.seat61.com has loads on doing that; general info on trains and sightseeing in those cities also check www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. Fly into say Copenhagen and out of Helsinki.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 12:18 PM

Stockholm is also a paradise for young children. You could do an overnight stay on an island such as Grinda: much more memorable for your child than looking at it from the ferry. Are you moving from Stockholm to Helsinki, after Stockholm? Personally I like Stockholm better than Copenhagen, but that's a personal thing. I do feel 6 days (7 nights) is a bit awkward to split up, but if it were me, I would allocate more time to Stockholm.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 12:23 PM

Try to do more days as Helsinki wants a few as well and there is plenty to do in say Copenhagen with its many neat daytrips - not as familiar with Stockholm but assume as good or better -that island stay sounds so neat.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would give Stockholm more time than Copenhagen. Make you take your child to Junebacken in Stockholm.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 05:21 PM
kja

IMO, having been to both, you have a challenge on your hands! I would normally say to give Stockholm more time -- but I would say that as a starting point, one might consider giving Copenhagen 3 or 4 days (depending on whether you plan on 1 or 2 day trips) and giving Stockholm 5 days -- and you don't have that much time. With the time you have, I would encourage you to consult some good guidebooks, decide what you most want to see, check their opening times, and then plan your time accordingly.

The good news is that each is delightful.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 06:15 PM

Each is delightful! It is toss up. I say split it evenly. Tivoli is a must with a four year old.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 11:44 AM

I agree with the even split. When we first went to the two cities I thought I preferred Stockholm, then we went to Copenhagen for a longer time and I was sure I preferred it. Hadn't been to Stockholm for a while so scheduled a trip there and returned thinking I preferred it. It's sort of like my grandma's old saw about "when I'm not near the one I love, I love the one I'm near." Everyone has their own reason for preferences but with these two cities IME it's hard not to seesaw. They are both wonderful, so give them both an equal chance. And if you're taking the ferry to Helsinki, I think you'll love that too. I'm not much of a fan of cruises, but I loved that ferry ride (we're taking it again this year). In my mind it's what a cruise should be--to get you somewhere and provide fun along the way. Our Silja ferry cruise did just that. They had wonderful activities for children. It was filled with families having fun. Choice of lots of restaurants at varying price points, a basketball game on stilts in the main area. Good shopping. And not bad beds in very small but very reasonably priced cabins. And Helsinki is a fun destination into the bargain. Enjoy. I defy you not to. And return to tell us whether you can decide which city is the better.

Last edited by JulieVikmanis; Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback. Both cities sound wonderful! We will be splitting our time between the 2 and taking the train in between. Also, we are doing the over night cruise to Helsinki and looking forward to enjoying the Stockholm Archipelago on the cruise.

Tivoli is on our list for our 4 year old. Think he will love it We will probably not have time to enjoy both that and Brekken. Also, I'm sure we will return to enjoy the cities again and do more day trips out of them.

Thank you for your feedback again.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 12:21 PM

There is also an overnight train option between Copehagen and Stockholm - leave Cope about 10pm - change at Malmo to night train with sleeping car and couchettes and regular seating and arrive Stockholm about 6 am - get a private compartment and bring any food and drink aboard. I guess late departure would be problematic with 4 yr old though but an option that is the ultimate time-saver and whose cost is off-set by saving night cost in a hotel. And who cares if this train arrives a bit late?
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi PalenQ, Thanks for the info on the night train. Would have done it without a young kid but a good night's sleep will be important for him on vacation so will stick with daytime for now.

Thanks!