Vienna restaurants help

Search

Vienna restaurants help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna restaurants help

I'm trying to plan out most of my restaurants while in Vienna, and I need some help. I'm mainly having problems with days and times, as it's been hard for me to find information about this on websites.

Cafe thoughts include 2 of Central, Diglas and Hawelka. It seems like both Diglas and Hawelka are open late, but I worry about Central. I'd need entrees for around 10 Euros.

Here goes:

Thursday:

lunch at Schnattl, to get fixed price

dinner - a cafe for dessert and dinner, around 9 pm, close to Kunsthistorics

Friday - late dinner (after 9) at Heurigen that is easily found from a metro station. Would like maybe 10-15 Euros for entree and a relatively cheap wine by the glass (say 5 Euros)

Saturday:

lunch at MAK cafe

dinner and dessert after opera - say 10?

Sunday:

lunch at Palmenhaus - is it open Sundays? Do they have a good value fixed price menu?

Dinner at Wein and CO around 6 - is it open Sunday?

Cafe X-Celsior for dessert after concert.

Monday:

lunch at Buffet Trzesniewski

Monday - quick drink (around 4 pm or so) at Meinl and grab some takeaway for airplane.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:16 PM

You can easily find most all the information you seek on the websites of the individual restaurants
example-

www.palmenhaus.at

www.palaisevents.at ( this for Cafe Central)

Wein and Co. has good website too - they are open Sundays- usually 1/2 price wine too.

I am surprised that you seek cheap meals - 10 euro- then try Meinl for wine and takeaway ?.

Meinl prices are usually 50% more than any other place in Vienna.
Need cheap snacks go to Billa or Spar markets.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've seen a few of the websites but am having trouble with the German abbrevations for days of the week. I did want to splurge a little, but thanks for letting me know about the cost of Meinl.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Joe, I find it difficult to relate to your way of planning a trip. Where is the spontaneity, the acceptance of serendipity? You make it look like work rather than fun.

Anyway, if you are budget-conscious, why not look into Cafe Einstein, at the university end of the rathaus? Cheap and cheerful. Apparently popular with students.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Padraig; Cafe Einstein is such a great place, thanks for bringing it back to my thoughts. Spent many an afternoon there during our last trip in 2004. Good beer and great food in a wonderfully informal atmosphere. Took a summer German course at the University in Wien and ended up at the Einstein in the afternoons sipping a beer and doing my homework...staff had great fun with me and my faltering Deutsch and also helped me with the local idioms. Great place! Agree with you also about such this posters business-like whirlwind visit to this womnderful city...he'll never appreciate what Wien has to offer.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM

molker; Where is the Punsch report? I'm sure you and Khanjar have made the rounds by now.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Our favorite Heuriger is the Familie Hirsch "Zum 6er" in Grinzing. Take the Grinzing tram to the end. Walking out of the station, turn right and it is about one or two streets down the hill on the right. Far more Austrians there than tourists, all having a great time. Lots of atmosphere, very good food and fresh wine. Also good music and very good prices. If you are there Christmas week, they will probably feature roast goose.

As far as the Cafe Central is concerned, it is expensive. Pastry and food is ok but better is to be had in Wein for much less. You pay for the elegant setting. Can be difficult to get a table.