Food in Vienna

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food in Vienna

Going to Vienna soon. I read all about the wonderful places to see. Al;most nothing about the food. Is it that bad, or is it the usual sausage and kraut type of fare.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:02 PM

I have no idea what you mean by "the usual sausage and kraut type of fare."
Vienna is a capital city with a sophisticated culture, you can dine very well in many places and you can have any cuisine you like, including Austrian.
Have you researched restaurants here on fodors, or at frommers, or at timeout.com, or at...?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:12 PM

They have sausage and kraut in Vienna?

Have you ever heard of weiner schnitzel -- the classic Viennese dish? It's on every menu along with lots of other options.

And of course you can also taste the famous Sacher Torte -- just make sure you have lots of liquid to wash it down with. We found it the dullest, dryest cake we'd ever tasted.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:41 PM

On Naschmarkt in Vienna, I have had several excellent seafood meals.

For good Sacher torte, perhaps you could try the cafe in KHM next time.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:26 PM

My mistake, I guess. I thought THE place to have Sacher Torte was at The Sacher. Apparently not.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 12:34 AM

I believe there are two main variations of Sacher Torte--the Sacher Hotel's and Demel's. But I agree with Patrick about both of them--to me it too is a dry, bland cake. I don't understand the hype at all. I was at a party at the Sacher Hotel in Vienna on Saturday night and we were, of course, served Sacher torte. It came with a whopping side of whipped cream.
Vienna has wonderful restaurants serving outstanding food and the city is full of cafes and pastry shops where you can try luscious cakes and other desserts. If you really want to satisfy your curiousity about Sacher torte, try it (the recipe, FYI, was in fact created by MRS. Sacher--she had two sons, one a "good boy" who ran a hotel in Baden, the other a ne'er do well. The second son sold her recipe without her permission and got both the money and the fame), but you'll probably find once is enough.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:16 AM

I always steered clear of the Sacher torte and my wife never understood why, until I explained that a cake that is advertised as shippable around the world (that was in 1975, before the common use of overnight shipping) must by definition be dry.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:36 AM

We were in Vienna a few years ago - I loved the food, my wife didn't. If you are not a fan of red meat, you may not be too happy. Even chicken was not that common. If you enjoy red meats, gulash, sausage, sauerkraut, dumplings,rich pastries and interesting beers, you'll love the food. Of course there are some Italian and a few Asian places to dine.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Vienna can provide you with any sort of food you wish to eat. We only need to know how deep your budget pockets are. For example, the chicken caesar salad served at the Albertina cafe (run by Do&Co) is the best I have ever eaten; Boheme at Spittelgasse 19 served me a delicious baby beef liver diced small, sauteed and finished with a red wine sauce. Everybody who contributes to this forum has similar tales to tell.
On the topic of sausage- the varieties available run from the weisswurst which is a standard breakfast dish in Munich to small, airdried and spicy jaegerwurst with marvelous varieties inbetween. A classic Viennese sausage dish is spicy sausage with cheese put in the middle, wrapped in bacon and broiled=yum.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:55 AM

My wife an I stayed at the Sacher in Salzburg, I have never slept in a bed so hard, needless to say, I didn't sleep. We decided to move on the next day. The management sent us a Sacher Torte to Phoenix where we live as a gift, it was so dry and boring I couldn't believe it!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:02 AM

I don't like sacher torte, either, just a very dry cake. And I had it at one of the best cafes in Vienna.

I didn't particularly care for the cuisine in Vienna, although it was okay for a few days. Very meat-based -- lots of veal. I had a meal which, I am NOT kidding, consisted of viener schnitzel as the main course, with an appetizer of cream of veal soup, and then the salad that came with it had bits of veal in it. I also noted that in the cafe in the main fine arts museum, the idea of an afternoon snack was some kind of sausage.

I don't go to expensive restaurants, I'm sure you can find anything there you want. I had a couple meals that were fine but it got boring and isn't the kind of food I like very well.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I completely agree about the Sacher torte, but I had a lovely experience at the Sacher in Vienna last year. There was construction going on, but the hotel was first class.

As for food, I also found the food in Vienna to be quite good. You can find almost anything you're looking for. As Elaine says, it's a very sophisticated city. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Seconding payant's previous praise for Boheme on Spittelgasse. The food is good, the owner is a wine expert, and the opera-themed atmosphere is delightful.

In odd contrast to some of the "all meat, all the time" comments above, I had a few terrific meals at Wrenkh, an upscale vegetarian place in the First District.

My trip to Vienna coincided with a spring heat wave, so I was never in the mood for tafelspitz, the beloved boiled beef dish. Next time I'll have to try it!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I must be the "odd WOman out" because I loved the Sacher Torte! Granted it had to be smothered with cream (I did notice the dryness factor) but I found it really good and not as overly sweet as some other cakes I've had. However, the Sacher Cafe also had decent food. I had an excellent potato soup while there.

I wasn't too fond of the food, to be honest. I am a very picky eater and don't eat much meat so I steered away from many typical Viennese restaurants. We typically ate sandwiches from Cafe's or purchased pizza by the gram at many of the pizza restaurants in the city. And of course we had our fare share of delicious Viennese pastries and chocolates!