Klosterneuburg - outside of Vienna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A colleague at work recommended we visit Klosterneuburg (both the Abbey and the Vinothek) when we're in Vienna.

Either the search function is not working today or no one has posted on this place, because I have found nothing on this forum.

Has anyone visited and, if so, can you recommend?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:25 AM
viennese

Hallo,
yes, it is worth a tour. The abbey may be not as big and gorgeous as the abbey in Melk (in the Danube valley). The advantage of Klosterbeuburg is that it is much closer to Vienna, can be reached by car in about 15 minutes!
Enjoy your trip!

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Viennese,

It looks like you're new here and I see you're living in Wien. Welcome and thanks for the reply. I'm pretty certain we'll have a visit to the Abbey.

What restaurants are you recommending these days? I'm looking for a place when we arrive Thursday evening. We're staying at the Radisson.

Also, can you recommend any Heurigen reasonably reachable by train or tram?

thanks,
Steve
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Viennese may have other suggestions but when we lived in Vienna, we enjoyed Grinzing. Yes, it's touristy, but fun. Both the Weinbottich and Hauermandl are nice with strolling musicians and outside seating in nice weather.

Do a search on google for Grinzing or Grinzing Heuriger and you'll get some info.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:47 AM
viennese

Hallo (or "Servus" as you would greet a friend in Vienna),
yes, I am new on this forum and I enjoy helping very much - especially when I can give help on my beloved Vienna where I am living.
Grinzing is a good idea. As bettyk said it's a bit touristy. If you want to try another place I recommend Gumpoldskirchen in the south of Vienna. There are a lot of Heurigen (local restaurants), however it is quite a long way (about 30 minutes from Vienna). And you sure shouldn't drive a car when going to a Heurigen tasting local wines ;-)
As for good restaurants in Vienna I like the small down-to-earth ones, like they were in the old days. Examples with fine food are "Ofenloch" in Kurrentgasse 8 (www.ofenloch.at, closed Sunday) or "Weibels Wirtshaus" in Kumpfgasse 2 (www.weibel.at). Both are in the city = pedestrian zone of the 1. district. If you like it more chic, sitting in marble settings in the famus Burgtheater on the Ringstrasse, try the "Vestibül" (Dr.-Karl-Lueger-Ring 2, www.vestibuel.at).
Mmmh, I am getting hungry... ;-))