Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help With Hotel in Vienna (Or is Vienna worth it at all?)

Notices

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a nice, charming hotel in Vienna that's not too expensive (up to $200 a night). I have no idea where to stay in Vienna, or what region of the city is good.

Or is Vienna even worth visiting?
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 10:55 PM

What are your interests? Many posters on this board, and other boards, enthusiastically recommend Vienna, although I remember a few detractors too. But without any indication of your style or interests, who could answer your question?

I also recall that the Vienna Le Meridien is highly praised.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 02:13 AM

Vienna isn't my favorite city, but I am hard-pressed to think of any city that isn't worth, to me, visiting
If you click at the top of this screen on Destinations, you will get to basic information on Vienna. Perhaps that will help you decide if the sights interest you.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:20 AM

I didn't regret going but IMO 2 days is enough. Highlight was going to an opera.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:52 AM
ira

We greatly enjoyed 4 days in Vienna.

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:54 AM

Every winter for the past six years in a row I've spent between 10 days and two weeks in Vienna and have yet to a) run out of new things to do or b) gotten bored.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:18 AM

Stayed at Vienna Le Meridien in March and loved the comfortable rooms and central location. Very modern and trendy. Skip the bar though, nithing special.

As for the city itself, I didn't love it. To me it lacked the European charm that cities like Florence and Prague have - but if you're in the mood to go shopping at H&M there's 2 on every blcok.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:25 AM

Goood morning Have stayed at the
HOTEL MAILBERGERHOF, on Annagasse. It is located about two blocks from the
Opera House in the inner ring center of\Vienna. Have been very satisified with the hotel and its staff.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.
Transportation fans out from the inner
ring to the main sights of Wien that are not within the innerring. rjv
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:00 AM

It blows my mind to read that a number of people don't like Vienna. Unless these are people who simply don't like any European city, I have to question their judgment. You can name all the top cities in Europe, and Vienna is certainly among the best in almost any category (architecture, art, culture, restaurants, general ambience, etc).

If I were you, worldtraveler, I would totally ignore the negativism in some of the postings and instead head for Vienna to see for yourself what a great destination it is. Clearly those who denigrate it as a place to visit are probably those who don't know what to look for in a destination. Good luck.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:49 AM

I must agree with Wayne on this one. I lived in Vienna for 2 years in the '80s and fell in love with it. It's clean, it's safe and has some of the most beautiful architecture of any European city, not to mention the world class museums, music, food and wine!

Try getting off the beaten path and visiting some of the lovely cobblestone streets, or one of the small wine villages that surround the city. A visit to the Donau Insel should also be fun.

Pick up a good guide book with walking tours of Vienna and go for it!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:15 AM

I very much enjoyed Vienna, and would go back in a heartbeat. We stayed at the Pension Nossek on the Graben. This is a simple, clean hotel in the best location in the city. The Graben is a pedestrian street in the heart of the old city - a wonderful area. Our only regret is we wish we could have spent more than 3 nights in the city.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:46 AM

Vienna is a great place to visit if you like music, art, beautiful architecture and a safe place to walk in the evening. My favorite hotel is the Konig von Ungarn situated in the center and reminiscent of a lost, gentler era. I paid €192 last year including buffet breakfast for one of the largest rooms I have ever had in Europe.There is a good web site that might give you a better idea of the city's atractions, www.wien.gv.at/english/
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:07 AM

I didn't care for Vienna that much, either, sorry to "blow" Wayne's mind. People do have different tastes and opinions, that's all, and you can "question my judgment" all you want. Actually you can't question whether someone is allowed to like a city or not, that is their own preference. I thought it was boring, very dirty in parts that you would not expect (ie Kartnerstrasse runing by St Stephans was full of trash and filthy with I was there), had bad food, etc. For historical reasons, I think it is worth seeing, of course, and I'm glad I went to see it for a few days. I am very interested in classical music and play the piano, but that's not enough to love Vienna. First, it depends when you go -- I went in July when the performing arts season had pretty much closed down, more so than even in other European cities. I could not even find a classical music radio station.

I don't know why it is so mind-blowing that some people like some cities and not others. I think it's normal. You could be someone who loves it, nobody can tell. Given Vienna's importance historically, I would say it is worth visiting. Some of that big wedding cake architecture is something to see, also, unlike anywhere else.

You should stay in the central area for convenience, I'd say -- a lot of people like to be within the Ringstrasse. I myself stayed just outside it in the Muzeum area (I think that is district 7, right near the Volksoper metro stop), and I really liked that location. It was within walking distance of the museums, but convenient for underground and tram connections, and not as crowded or expensive as the more inner areas.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:25 AM

That's surprising Christina--I've been to Vienna about a dozen times in the past 6 years and never come across the litter you described in the central area. Very odd. As for food, I eat quite well in Vienna (and elsewhere in Austria) and many of my restaurant experiences there have surpassed meals in Paris (at roughly equivalent restaurants in terms of price and guidebook ratings).
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:48 AM

It occurs to me that the dirt/trash issue could very much be related to time of year, less of it in winter, more in summer perhaps, when the city is busier with tourists. I didn't notice it being dirty when I myself went there in winter, but our impressions are always based on what we actually see and experience, no point in implying that someone didn't see trash when they did.

I'm with Christina in that Vienna is not one of my favorites and I'm not strongly motivated to go back any time soon because I have other travel priorities (and other places I prefer to re-visit.) That's not to say I'll never go back.

I thought the food I had in Vienna was good, but I've had as good or better elsewhere. I thought the art museums good, but a good deal of the art I saw is not my cup of tea. I thought the shopping uninteresting. The architecture that I saw was primarily post WW II, and therefore not as inspiring to me. All of this is personal,again, it's not to say that I didn't miss some great experience, but I visited Vienna in the way I visit other major and minor European cities that appealed to me much more.

I try to only become irritated about criticisms of places I like, when there is an attempt to paint with too broad a brush: "all the food was bad", "all the waiters were rude",
"pickpockets are everywhere" or, "stay away from there." Beyond that, mind-blowing or not, I wouldn't encourage a person to go back to a place they clearly didn't care for, when there are other places to go.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:38 PM

We visited Vienna for two weeks and loved it. We liked the architecture, museums, palaces, streets. Very clean and elegant city.
I can not recommend a hotel (we stayed in the house of the friends), but try to find a hotel located in the centre - near pedestrian area.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help! It really seems like everyone is divided about Vienna.

So if I DO decide to go there for a few days, what shouldn't I miss? I am really interested in beautiful buildings and architecture, and I really enjoy history. Museums are okay too. Any suggestions?

For those of you who dislike Vienna, where else would you recommend? I would prefer to stay in Austria or southern Germany (that eliminates Prague…I know…I know, I’ve heard it’s amazing) Any ideas?
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:11 PM

FWIW, I did an internship & lived in Vienna for two months back when I was a student (10 yrs ago), and absolutely LOVED it. The city did a lot for its youth, and that was just mindblowing - eg, free rock/pop concerts, free classical music, sportin events, etc. I also had the BEST ice-cream I've ever had in Vienna, at a place on Schwedenplatz run by Italians....
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:14 PM

Just read that you're into beautiful builings - then Vienna is most definitely for you. The city center is completely grand & imperial, and you'll be taken back into the days of the Habsburg empire.... Have even heard from some conceited Parisians that they thought that the only city in Europe that could compete with Paris in terms of beauty was Vienna!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thats good to know! Thanks for the help! I loved Paris, so if Vienna is anything like Paris, then i'm sure I'll love it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information