tell me more about Vienna Woods?

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tell me more about Vienna Woods?

will be going to Vienna next week - can anyone give good info about Vienna Woods? Also,is this where the 'wine caverns' are? Are these places close to the city, if not, how far and how do you get to them?Thanks. Any info would be welcome
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:06 PM

The heurigen are close to the city - Grinzing is a favourite town to go to within suburban bus access of centre. Buses to a couple of other towns/suburbs on edge of city - 20 minutes or so, although some places are further out and a lot less accessible. I have only eaten at a couple of places in the woods and I am afraid do not have great views on heurigen food - OK but so what view - although others have had more positive experience. What I can say is avoid like the plague the oldest heurigen in the city itself - Esterhazykeller - right next door to where I live, horrendous meal experienced.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:37 PM

hi travelnick,
other than lunch, how special is the place and would you say there's no other place like it? or is it just ordinary?

i will be in vienna in september and want to know if i should spend a few hours in vienna woods.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:03 AM

The places within easy access are certainly nice enough, but would not feature in my top 10 of the world- for similar offering I prefer beer gardens on one of the lakes south of Munich say. For say only one day in the country out of Vienna I would rate the Wachau far more highly and consider this area as one of the prettiest places I have seen. There you can go to the heurigen as well and get great value wines direct from the vineyard. Either driving or a boat trip combined with train home. Driving allows you to see more places - Melk, Krems and Durnstein are the 3 places to see. So definitely go to the Woods if you are in Vienna for more than say 4 days. If less and you want some countryside, do the Wachau.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:10 AM

Hi Lynn:

We took the bus from downtown to Grinzing (~20 min & quite frequent) then to Kahlenberg (~10-15 min but not very frequent) and walked to Leopoldsberg which was ~3km through the Vienna Woods. The 'through the woods' part was no different that a 'walk in the woods' here in Canada but with the occasional glimps of the Danube/valley into Vienna. Much more panormanic view from the walls at Leopoldsberg.

From my perspective it was 'nice but nothing special', glad I went but if I'm in Vienna again I wouldn't bother going a 2nd time. Instead, time permiting, I'd follow Travelnick's advice and visit a town further from the city.

Z