Heuriger in/near Vienna

Sep 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Heuriger in/near Vienna

We would like to have dinner at a heuriger while we're in Vienna in October. Our hotel is in the city and we will be using public transportation. We enjoy trying traditional foods. Any suggestions? Are reservations recommended? Thanks.
Sep 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Olewig if full of them - they seemed like peas in pods to me, after inspecting several - the one i went to - forget name - was fun - anyway trams go right to Olewig (sp?)
Sep 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Heurig means "from this year, this year's" - it's the young spirited wine so beloved as virtually a cult item.

It is served in a great many places, but some spots have developed an entire "culture" built around the Heuriger. So much so that a restaurant specializing in serving Heuriger may also be called itself a Heuriger, or a Buschenschank.

Grinzing is traditionally a place for Heuriger, served in style with food and music and such merriment - check out www.vienna.cc/english/grinzing.htm, this will answer your question.
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:14 PM

The advice above is not the best.
Firstly , Olewig is in Germany, not Vienna Austria.

The area of Grinzing has become a tourist trap for bus tours, cheap and less than great wine, with overpriced food, with a much less than good experience for visitors.

Much nicer and a better experience are the neighborhood areas of Sievering, Neustift am Walde, Nussdorf , and Stammersdorf.
These were former villages to themselves eventually absorbed by the city of Vienna as it grew overtime.

All of the above can be reached by public transport and offer a much better experience.

Nussdorf is in the northern portion of Vienna.
It is easily reached by taking the streetcar#D from city center ( it travels along a good portion of the Ringstrasse)
no changes needed.

Go to the end station.
Just across the street from the last station and uphill you will find three Heurigers- each with good food and wine, nice gardeans in good weather and appropriate indoor rooms.

places

Schuebel- Auer , Kierlinger, Steinschaden ( sp? )
if you wish websites - just ask

Neustift is easily reached by taking the U-4 UBahn to Spittleau stop and then taking the bus 35 A .
The 36A willl stop almost in front of several good heurigers.

The origin of these places dates back centuries when an Emperor decreed that wineries could sellm their own wine excepting taxation.Eventually they began selling small foods and the tradition began.

No need to buy a bottle of wine. You can order 1/8 and 1/4 liter glasses etc. to allow a good tasting experience.
While you can find some good red wine, mostly whites like Gruner Veltliner and Riesling

They include Fuhlgassl Huber, Hauerkuchl, Schrieberhaus, and more.
Normally no need for reservations excepting holidays and perhaps with some places sunday afternoon.
Sep 27th, 2010, 04:30 AM

Hi wanderfrau

The heuriger we visited had an interesting way of serving the meals - you selected the dish you wanted, then indicated the size of serving you'd like. This was then weighed, and you just paid the value of your selection, rather than a set price for each dish. It was an extremely economical meal, with beautiful scenery looking down over the wineries into Vienna.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of it, but we walked down from the Vienna Woods to get there - perhaps someone else can offer more detail! Di
Sep 27th, 2010, 04:45 AM

Have just hunted out the details - it was Heuringer Binder. The details are at http://tinyurl.com/24s5dmn Cheers, Di
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:09 AM

It is true that Grinzing is tourist oriented but there is a very good, non touristy Heuriger there - Heuriger Hirsch. Good food, good prices, good wine and good atmosphere. It is easy to find. Take the Grinzing tram to the end. Follow everyone to the main drag. Turn right. It is a few streets down on your right.
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:12 AM

The full name of the place is Heuriger Familie Hirsch.
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

You "guys" are great. I knew I could count on you. This is just the kind of information I was looking for. I especially appreciate the names of specific places. I now have a few options. I know many times its tough to remember the exact info, or you have to go dig it out of your notes. Many thanks for taking the extra time to provide details.
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:36 AM

The only Hirsch I know in Grinzing is the family Hirsch that operate the heuriger Zum 6er.
This, various rooms and a garden. Normally accomodating bus loads especially in the rear portions. Near to the center of Grinzing and not the best in my opinion.

www.heuriger-zum6er.at

websites for some of the above

www.schuebel-auer.at

www.kierlinger.at

www.steinschaden.at

www.fuhlgasslhuber.at

www.dasschreiberhaus.at
Sep 28th, 2010, 07:05 AM

molker - that may be the same place - the sign in front says (or said)Hirsch. That said, since you seem to be very familiar with Vienna - I am guessing you may live there -I would defer to your knowledge. However, if we are speaking of the same place, my observations were based on 4 visits -all in the month of November (when I am in Vienna it is usually in late fall) and always in the late evening. I did notice tour buses at the touristy place across the street.
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:39 AM

We had a nice time at Zum Weihrauch http://apps.vienna.at/tools/partylok...iew&ortid=2977
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:10 AM

Zum Weihrauch is a good recommendation in my opinion.
But a little harder to acces via public transport.
It requires a fair walk of 10 minutes plus.

for the 6er - this on Sandgasse #6.
Probably the same place -from the end station of streetcar # 38 you go to the street and turn right - this place about 250 meters or a little more on right side -
entrance is through the gate into the courtyard garden and door to various rooms on right side if I remember correctly.

It often hosts bus tours- probably November a slower month for tourists to my knowledge and you get lucky.

I am fortunate to live in Vienna.
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

molker thanks for all the info. I'm looking forward to visiting your city.
Oct 17th, 2010, 01:30 PM

check that website: www.spottedbylocals.com/vienna
there is some suggestions for Heuriger!
Oct 17th, 2010, 02:09 PM

hi wanderfrau,

of course I defer to Molker in everything regarding Heuriger. We enjoyed outselves very much in the ones we went to in Heigigenstadt, [at least I think that's where they were, the details are a little hazy!] and later in our trip in Gumpoldskirchen, which is south of Vienna, and is absolutely stuffed full of Heuriger.

Some estabishments have buffets which are very nice, others have menus and buffets, and some just have menus. some also have bands.

What they all have is wine, and water - which you are expected to order with your wine. this, and the food enables you to drink more wine, which i suppose is the general idea.

there is also at least one in central Vienna i think, but we never found it.
Oct 18th, 2010, 01:07 AM

Just to add some information about city center heuriger possibilities. In my opinion, these are ok for those without time for a visit to an outer district area.

Zwoelf Apostelkeller ( the 12 Apostles )

www.zwoelf-apostelkeller.at

food is ok - nice atmosphere- very old - music at times also.

Gigerl

www.gigerl.at

less of what most would call a true heuriger - but good food - interesting buffet in a nice atmosphere-
well located in city center but on a back street/passage

Esterhazykeller

www.esterhazykeller.at

the cellar of the Esterhazy Palace and worth a visit just to see it.
Good wine - many stop by just for a glass or two. food is not the greatest to me

Do not drink too much as the stairway to/from is long and relatively steep. For some this is a problem especially those with mobility issues.
Oct 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional advice. I'm back from Vienna and will post a short trip report soon.