Venice - Metropole & dei Dogi ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to Venice in October. I've been to the city several times, and for once would like to splurge on a hotel. I've read all of the recommendations on this site and have narrowed it down to Hotel Metropole & Hotel dei Dogi. I am looking for a hotel with a lot of old world character - I mean I want to feel like I'm stepping back in time! Location is not a concern (Dogi), since we like to walk, but I am concerned that Metropole might be too loud at night.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:22 AM

Have you read ALL the reviews of Dei Doge in rants & raves here? It is really removed although they evidently offer a free boat shuttle to a more central location. I can't comment on noise at the Metropole but between the 2, I'd pick the Metropole. Have you looked at the Palazzo Sant Angelo (sinahotels.com) or Europa Regina?
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:31 AM

We stayed at the Metropole in Dec. '01. Had a garden view. I am a light sleeper, and I had no noise problems there. Our room was beautiful!!! It was nice to get an American breakfast. Heated floor in bathroom was really nice!
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie - I realize how far dei Doge is, but that's not really a concern for me. I've been to Venice so many times that I don't feel the need to stay in the thick of things. Just walking around the beautiful city is enough for me these days. Looked at Europa Regina - they're out of my price range. Thanks for the tip on Sant Angelo. Will definitely consider them.
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:32 AM

I stayed at the Metropole in early March 2001 and loved it it was 175 a night and we had a view of a side canal. The room was a little noisy at night with the window open but it wasn't terribly bad and I'm a light sleeper.
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:12 PM

I like the Metropole very much and have stayed there the last 3 times to Venice. We've always been on the front but noise is not a problem as it's on the lagoon and sound just seems to dissipates.

They are booked-up for my dates this coming September so I am going to the Antico Doge...I went by to check it out for some friends (who subsequently LOVED it) last fall and it is overflowing with old world charm!

They have a web site with pretty good photos. We've booked the Doge's suite for 315 euro/night--the best rooms in the hotel for less that the 395 we paid last year at Metropole. You might want to look into it, nice location too.
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:06 PM

I stayed at the Antico Doge in March and it would seem to fit what you're looking for. It's a renovated 15th century building in a very good location. They have a web site that you can review.
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your responses! I ended up going with Antico Doge. Looks beautiful, and a good value. I'll have to check out the Metropole next time
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:11 AM

famsd, There is a wonderful little bar inside the hotel, off the lobby, that you might want to stop into for either a coctail or a coffee...gives you a good feel for the charming (I think) eccentricity of the Metropole.