Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Compare/contrast Venice Hotels: Ala,Accademia,L. Orseolo, Do Pozzi

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi
investigating low-moderate hotels for a return trip to Venice. Beloved Hotel Flora is out of the running this time due to budget (mine low, theirs high), single room quoted at 180 euro, and the well-reviewed Violino d'Oro is quoting 200 euro.

Some hotels I've eliminated due to either price, location, or lack of elevator. I prefer San Marco location.
All prices quoted are singles, and include some form of breakfast.

Locanda Orseolo first floor room 140 e

Do Pozzi (never stayed there, but love the location, not far from the Flora) 110 euro

Hotel Ala 95 euro for standard single vaporetto stop is Giglio--always good reviews I believe.

and, the famous Accademia Villa Maravege, 130 for a single with canal view. I've never stayed in Dorsoduro, that's my hesitation, but I've often wondered about the Accademia and love the associations with the film "Summertime." But, 35 euro more per night than the Ala. That's dinner!

I'm hoping to do a BIG splurge hotel elsewhere, at the end of my trip, so looking to economize where I can.
I'll only have two full days in Venice this time. For a hotel, aside from the given of 'clean', location and pleasantness (by which I mean, no shabbiness or drear) are of equal importance. Charm is a bonus of course. Yes, I've searched here and at tripadvisor, but the Search here doesn't bring up many comments from the past few months.

thanks

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Hi Elaine,

I've stayed at 2 of the 4- Ala and Accademia Villa Maravege. Both have great locations and a good breakfast.

In both hotels the single rooms are quite small and lack the character of the double rooms. Bathrooms are small, but I've seen smaller.

The garden and entrance area at AVM is very nice but if you are going in the winter months, the garden won't make a difference. I actually prefer the AVM location. It's further from the crowds and feels more special. The neighborhood is my favorite in Venice. When I stayed at AVM, my single room did have a very nice view of the side canal.

My first time in Venice I stayed at the Ala in a very small double room. It was on the top floor, overlooked the square, had a slanted ceiling, and a window nook. It was perfect for one person and way too small for 2. Perhaps they could offer you that room? It can't hurt to ask.

The Ala price is hard to resisit.

Tough choice, but either way, you can't go wrong.

Enjoy your travels!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the insights and details
I'll be there during the first half of next April

I'm such a creature of habit, I've always stayed in San Marco and love it so much, but the charms of the AVM are really tempting me.

Will ask the Ala about a double.

I've walked by the AVM but not taken the vaporetto there. Close to the stop?
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 02:03 PM

It's actually been a couple of years since our stay at AVM....how time flies!
While there, we stopped by the Ala to see if we might want to stay there in the future since we loved AMV and it was the same management. Honestly, I'd opt for the AVM, for the charm factor. If it's only two nights, if you save $10/month til you leave, you've got the difference! I can ALWAYS rationalize spending just a bit more.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere other than Locanda Orseolo. If you are looking for location, room quality, charm, and service, you will not be disappointed. If you have searched at TripAdvisor, then you know that Orseolo gets rave reviews. I booked Orseolo last Thanksgiving based on TA reviews, and I was still surprised by and unprepared for just how wonderful the experience would be. We're going back for our second stay this Thanksigiving.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Judy, you're absolutely right, the price difference isn't much. I'd jump for the AVM in a second if it were on the San Marco side of the Accademia Bridge.
Just curious, did the Ala look less than charming to you? I was reading between the lines and wondered that myself...
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Have you looked at the Paganelli? Their rates for a single range from 60-160 E. If you're there before Easter, and not during a weekend, you might get a good rate. Some (all?) of the rooms in their main building overlook the bacino; the rooms in the annex are very light and are right off the C. San Zaccaria.

http://www.hotelpaganelli.com
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Holly, but I don't want to be on the Castello side of the Piazza.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 04:53 AM

Elaine, I wish I could remember specifics about the Ala.
There wasn't anything glaringly bad, it just seemed more "generic" than the AVM. The public spaces didn't have the charm and character to us.
We enjoyed the gardens at the AVM and the short walk from the Accademia bridge was not a problem for us.
I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip wherever you stay!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:15 AM

My favorite on Sam Marco just a few
"blocks" from the Sant Angelo
Vaporetto stop (#82) is the
San Giorgio (90E in Oct for single).
which comes w/full breakfast.
go to venere.com, click on 2 star hotels & scroll til you find it. Many positive guest reviews
The hotel is connected to the Fortuny
museum & is at the end of a short
cul de sac.
Easy walk to Rialto, San Marco Square, & the Accademia
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 07:56 AM

Good morning, have stayed at the DO POZZI about 8 times in the last twenty years and had been very satisified with it and its ristorante DaRaffaele.
Also twice at the ALA which is a block
further away from SMarco also am booked
back there in Feb06. Breakfasts are continental
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Richard, I recall that the Do Pozzi is one of your favorite hotels, in fact I think it was you that first made me aware of it. That, and the fact that I've had dinner at Da Raffaele on every trip to Venice so far.
Does the Do Pozzi have more charm than the Ala?
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 08:37 AM

If I were to visit Venice I would try to get a room at the Locanda Orseolo. It's now #1 at Trip Advisor. The reviews all mention the hospitality of the owners and that is the main thing I appreciate as much as the type of room.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

My only hesitation with the L Orseolo is that there is no elevator, and the single room offered me is on the first floor, and I don't really want to climb stairs, been there, done that.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM
jgg

It is one small flight of stairs. Not really a big deal, unless you have a physical disability that prevents you from climbing them easily. No more than you will encounter on your daily walks in Venice.

The Orseolo exudes charm and hospitality. You will get the feeling of the "splurge" hotel without the splurge. Plus, the added bonus of a wonderful, delicious made to order breakfast!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

You convinced me.
I just booke the Orseolo.
thanks to all