which is the nicer hotel in venice?

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:59 AM
italybound

which is the nicer hotel in venice?

Having trouble deciding between Hotel Rialto and Cavalletto e Doge Orseolo for new years.

I have a reservation at Cavalletto for a room over looking the canal over new years ($330 per night with canal view..kinda pricy but everything is very inflated over new years!), but Hotel Rialto is 'only' $284.

Do you think the Cavalletto is nicer than Rialto? Any experiences?

Thanks!

(BTW - I KNOW that that is WAAAYY too much to pay for a hotel room..but you should have seen prices other places...lol. We are scaling back in other cities to make up the difference!)

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Patrick

Did Rialto guarantee you a room with a balcony on the canal? If so, I'd go for it. Have stayed there twice, and although some rooms aren't great, the ones with the balcony (and there are only a couple of them, so you must get a guarantee for one) are really wonderful. Room #408 with balcony was great. Room #402 was spectacular.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 10:07 AM
italybound

thanks patrick! I had seen your posts about the balcony rooms at the rialto, which is one of the reasons I emailed them back when we were going to venice over a different weekend (not new years..)

I asked them about balcony rooms during my first inquiry..(for jan 3 - 5) and they were not able to guarantee a balcony..and I imagine for New Years, at this late date they cannot confirm one either. That is really what I wanted after reading your posts about the place...

I think I am going to stick with the Cavalletto - it looks pretty cool...

Thanks for your help!

Stella

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Patrick

Good choice. Without the balcony, I probably wouldn't stay at The Rialto, nice enough, but not really worth the extra price for that hotel. I can't believe the amount of time we actually used the balcony -- the best spot in the city to sit and watch sunset and the activity.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 01:19 PM
susanne

I just stayed in Venice and rented an apartment with venicerentals.com. Got a heck of a better price and a view too near the main square!
Paid $150 a nt! I definitely would highly recommend them.
I think the price varies for different factors like length of your stay so you have to contact them for better into.
sue