The rooster of Sorrento?

Dec 14th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Cassandra

The rooster of Sorrento?

In an increasingly frustrating search for the perfect mid-range hotel in Sorrento, I have read hundreds of reviews of the 50-60 hotels that appear on the various websites.

Over and over again, I read "I would not stay here again..." because of a rooster that wakes people up very early in the morning in any of a number of hotels, though most seem to be localized in the Marina Piccola area.

What is the story here, I wonder? Is there one very loud rooster for that whole end of the city? Or does each hotel have its own rooster? Is rooster on the menu in any of the restaurants there? Is there a Rooster Discount available if you ask for it?

Dec 14th, 2004, 11:46 AM

I have stayed in Sorrento several times, along the waterfront close to Marina Piccola and Marina Grande, and have never heard this rooster you are referring to. If anything, there is some street noise that is problematic - not an ambiguous rooster!

I love "Hotel Lorelei e Londres" on Via Califano, 12 with its superb ocean view rooms overlooking Sorrento and the Bay of Naples. The double rooms are 95 euros. It is close to the center of town and within walking distance of the Circumvesuviana train station.

Dec 14th, 2004, 01:08 PM

I've been three times and I have never heard the rooster. Rooster discount-that's a good one.

But really, what's the big deal about a rooster in a country full of church bells?

Ditto on the Hotel Lorelei. Great hotel for the price. Stunning views. No roosters.
Dec 14th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Nope, I have never heard the rooster in that area either. I think the poster might mean the rooster at Mama Camillas where they do keep poultry.

If you are sleeping in the country you are liable to hear animal noises (as well as church bells).
Dec 14th, 2004, 01:44 PM

A rooster could not be more of a "wake up call" than church bells. But I woke up every morning to a rooster (and this was in the middle of a small city) so to me a rooster in the morning brings back fond memories. But I love church bells too. Of course I also like to get up early rather than sleep in.

Early morning is to me a very special time to get the day started.
Dec 14th, 2004, 02:22 PM

This post is very amusing to me. I didn't make the connection until just now, but two years ago when we stayed at Hotel Tramontano, there was a rooster that could definitely be heard each morning when we ate breakfast near the pool. The hotel is located very close to the old town, and only a few minutes walk away from the main drag, Piazza Tasso. I wonder if it is this area that you are referring to?
Dec 14th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Definitely was woken up by a rooster at Mami Camilla - but that's located at Sant'Agnello, slightly outside of Sorrento proper, so I don't think it's Biagio's rooster that makes all these hotel reviews...
Dec 14th, 2004, 03:34 PM
cfc

This is very funny! It does seem to me that if there had been a noisy rooster in some of the older reviews, by now there might be a number of new noisy roosters around the area -- unless capon is on the menu there, of course.
Dec 15th, 2004, 03:33 AM

We stay just on the edge of town near Sant'Angelo and always hear a rooster early in the morning- which we don't mind. There's also this dog that begins barking around 6am for 20-30 minutes like clock work, which is a bit irritating especially after a late night. But hey, you can sleep at home, I always say.
Dec 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Well I would rather hear a rooster than the d*mn garbage truck that comes clanging and bangine at 5:30 in the morning. They were here this a.m., so at least I can thank them for an early start to the day I guess.
Dec 15th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Rooster discount? Jeez...in some places you'd pay extra for a reliable wake-up call.