Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should we stay at a hotel in Sorrento or Sant'Agnello di Sorrento?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have booked a hotel in March for 7 adults to stay four nights at the Domus Porto Salvo in Sant'Agnello di Sorrento. The rate we booked saves us about about 100 euro over the next cheapest hotel we could find in Sorrento (for the four night stay.) The hotel in Sorrento we are considering is the Hotel Mignon.

When I booked the Porto Salvo, I didn't realize that it was not in Sorrento proper, but now I realize that it is about a 20 minute walk to Sorrento. We could cancel our reservations at Porto Salvo without penalty to book rooms at Hotel Mignon.

We plan on doing day trips to Pompei, Capri, and Naples but would think we would end up having dinner in Sorrento most nights.

Based on the above, can anyone advise which hotel you would prefer and why?
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 09:59 AM

The Amalfi Coast/Bay of Naples area is hilly. I don;t know where Sant'Agnello di Sorrento is - but am willing to bet there are hills involved. Yuo need to check.

In Sorrento we only stay in the center - but location is much more important to us than budget - given our limited vacation time.

It depends on what matters to you. Will 40 minutes a day - or 80 minutes if there are 2 trips - into Sorrento make for a pleasant vacation?
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM

We've stayed in Sant'Agnello before (Hotel Villa Garden) and enjoyed being away from Sorrento proper in high season yet close enough to walk. It is actually a flat walk, contrary to what one would think given the hills in the area. Sant'Agnello has its own Circumvesuviana stop so you can easily get to Pompei and Naples. There are also frequent buses from spots within Sant'Agnello to Piazza Tasso in central Sorrento (very cheap).
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM

You might find some useful information on this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nt-agnello.cfm
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 12:43 PM

Many hotels in Sant Agnello offer shuttle service. It is not an unpleasant walk and buses are frequent. Having said all that, I would stay in Sorrento if I went back.

Have fun!
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the replies! There was lots of good information in your posts and links.

I am ok with staying in Sant'Agnello, but my partner wants to stay closer to downtown Sorrento. We emailed to see if the rate we were quoted for Hotel Mignon is still available. If it is, we will change to stay in Sorrento vs. Sant'Agnello.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 01:07 PM

In May we stayed at Majestic Palace in Agnello for Pompeii but
It is a long walk Agnello to Sorrento did it May lots of traffic not comforable just hop the train it is one Stop.Downtown Sorrento is more touristic but more walkable booking.com. Hoteldelfino.com in the Masa Lubrense was also
pretty for us great views over Capri from our suite there
www.otel.com $80 for us last May.More remote though they have a free shuttle.

Good luck!