Sorrento Hotel good choice?

Oct 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Sorrento Hotel good choice?

I have researched so many hotels & found Hotel Admiral which looks lovely & gets good reviews. Although it is actually in Marina Grande right below Sorrento & since my husband is an avid fisherman I thought he would enjoy this small fishing village. Also according to alot of travellers it has an excellent seafood restaurant, Emilia's which they say not to miss. Will we regret not staying up the hill in Sorrento? We will have just come from Tuscany after spending 9 nights & are looking for relaxation, peace & quiet & soaking in the beauty of the Amalfi Coast.
Oct 4th, 2007, 06:33 AM

I don't think you'd regret staying in Marina Grande since you've chosen it for the right reasons. We love hill walking so when we visited Sorrento, we stayed at Il Nido, way up the hills above the bay. I had some thoughts about not staying in a hotel right in Sorrento--would we miss not being in the thick of things, etc.--but in the end we were glad for the opportunity to get in some extra walking, since that's what we really like. Similarly, since your husband enjoys fishing, he'd love being in Marina Grande. We took a boat ride from there one day and thought it had a nice, untouristy kind of atmosphere. I think you're making a good choice!
Oct 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM

I agree that you will not regret it. Marina Grande has a very authentic, non-touristy atmosphere. It is a short walk up the hill to the central area of Sorrento so it is not like you are sacrifing anything by staying down below.
Oct 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

mermaid & BoulderCo thank you both for the heads up
Oct 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Snorris,
My wife and I stayed 6 nights at the
Hotel Minerva, Via Capo 30, Sorrento a couple years ago. We had a balcony room that looked over the Marina Grande, Sorrento, Naples, and the beautiful blue sea. The hotel had a pool on roof with lounge chairs to relax in, very clean hotel!!!! The price included a hugh breakfest on their patio overlooking the sea. This hotel was outstanding for price. We paid 140 euros a night. Easy 10 minute walk into the town center. Hope this helps. Ciao, Louie and Vera.
Oct 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM

We just stayed at the Hotel Belair at 20 Via Capo. Incredible views of the city, the mountains, Mt. Vesuvious, Naples, etc... It was very clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated. The staff was wonderful and helpful. There is an incredible pool, outdoor bar and restaurant. Breakfast was pretty good, too. The walk into Sorrento was so easy. There was a narrow, but safe walkway, it took about 10 minutes. It was nice not to walk uphill to go home at night! Definately easy walking distance to everything. You can't go wrong staying at the Belair! I would stay there again, and hopefully will! We paid 240 Euro, rates are lower now that it is Oct, though. Check it out:
http://www.belair.it