The Hotel Cosmos Paris

Search

The Hotel Cosmos Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hotel Cosmos Paris

The Hotel Cosmos, 35 rue Jean Pierre Timbaud, in the 11th arrondissment.

I found it on this site, anyone stay there recently. I have a reservation w/ a good rate. It is across the street from the kyriad republic...

Thanks much
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:15 PM

Well, you've discovered one of the great hotel bargains of Paris. But why are you asking about it AFTER you made the reservation? The rooms are simply furnished, and since the bathrooms have been retrofitted they can be ergonomically challenging depending on the room, but it is a very pleasant, respectable, family run hotel, with an elevator, in a lively neighborhood with numerous restaurants, albeit without tourist "sights" nearby, and four Metro stations walkable from the hotel - for about 60 euros per night. Hard to do better.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Any one care to comment other than dave in paris ?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:32 AM

I haven't stayed in that hotel, but I have to agree with Dave: it's a great area. I stayed twice in the 11th arrondissement, once next to Republique square and the other time closer to Belleville. I think the location of your hotel is ideal, next to the pretty Canal st Martin, the great Popincourt market that runs every Tuesday and Friday on the lovely blvd. Richard Lenoir, and also in proximity to a fabulous boulangerie, situated on the corner of blvd. Voltaire and rue de Malte. They have breads, cakes and sandwiches, all of them superb. Seriously, I don't think I've enjoyed a bakery in Paris more than I have this one.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Hi Archigram,

You should try posing the question on a site that aims more toward budget travelers, or European travelers. I sometimes see tour groups entering or emerging from the Cosmos, and they're non-American.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Any more people
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

LAST CHANCE?
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I haven't stayed there. But have stayed in the 11th. Nice! Good energy in that part of the City. You'll have a good time...then you be the first to report back! A trail-blazer...new frontiers on hotelry...

Have a clean bed, a big enough shower and there you go! Fine!!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

COOL THANKS
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:24 AM

Here are 3 very good reviews of this hotel:
http://www.travel-library.com/hotels...tml#allreviews
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:37 AM

Thanks Keren, for finding those reviews. Obviously, I agree, and I love a bargain! We lived one door up from the Cosmos for more than 10 years, and we still visit the neighborhood. Put up our overflow of guests there and stayed there ourselves on occasion. It's worth noting that none of those "reviewers" are American. Now will some of my intrepid compatriates follow in their footsteps?
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:32 AM

Maybe they will, Dave, after they realize there's much more to Paris than the 6th.
I stayed in the Verlain on rue St Maur and loved it. I took a walk down Parmentier to Nation, toured Menilmontant and Belleville, Charonne and Buttes Chaumont and I certainly plan to return. And there are many other areas worth exploring in Paris.
If your compatriates don't want to stay in the 11th, it's their loss.

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:47 AM

The Washington Post ran a great article about the 11th arrondissement a couple of months ago, titled "In Paris, 11th Heaven." Unfortunately it's no longer on their Web site. I do have copy if anyone is interested. [email protected]
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I think the Wash Post has a very good travel section and read it regularly (well, it's my home town). They have almost all their travel articles online and readable for years. That particular article is right on there, this is the URL
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110400570.html

All you have to do to find articles is go to their travel section, then select "international" as the subsection (listing on left of page, probably), and then it comes back with an index by country. If you click on France, you find all their articles going back for years, including this one.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Thank Christina. Goes to show you what a (former) half-Washington Post (now wholly owned by the New York Times) word tinker knows.