Help with Paris hotel

Search

Help with Paris hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Paris hotel

I have been looking at hotels and am overwhelmed. I know we want to stay fairly close to the river. I have looked at trip advisor and the different threads here. Am considering Hotel d'Orsay in the 7th or Hotel Brighton in the lst. The view rooms at the Brighton are a little expensive for us, so don't know if it's worth staying there in a non-view room. Or is the view worth spending the extra money? I know I don't want to stay in the Latin Quarter or around Rue Cler.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 05:09 PM

I have stayed only in the 1st arr whenever I have been to Paris. I stayed at Hotel d'Louvre, Jolli Hotel, St James & Albany Hotel and a little hotel around the corner from St James. I love the 1st arr but that is my opinion.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM

Please think of it this way. You are in Paris. Do you want to remember your room or what you did and experienced in Paris. I am always amazed at spending a LOT of money on a hotel room--UNLESS you don't have to bring that parameter into your thinking. I do not go to Paris to be in a hotel room. I like to sleep. I like it to be clean, etc.etc.
So But why don't you want to stay "around the rue Cler". The squeakiest clean hotel for a great price is the Muguet, and you can even (maybe) have a Tower view. Why not this area. And why not the Latin Quarter. Geez. OH, and by the way, the "7th" might be close to rue Cler, so be VERY careful.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 03:14 AM

I think we need to know your budget before we can help. Also your other requirements. Not sure why you don't want to stay near rue Cler or in the 5th ( Latin Quarter), but there's no need to do so. Paris has plenty of clean, affordable hotels in many arrondissements. Just give us more feedback.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM

I'd also highly recommend pulling up other posts on Paris hotels. YOu can easily do this by using the search function. There have been tons of posts written on this subject.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Hi raelond,

I stayed at the Brighton for a few days in 2007 and loved its location. It was really delightful to walk out the door in the morning and see the city, literally, spread out at your feet. The wide expanse of Pl. Concorde to your right, the Tuileries in front . . . just a very welcoming and inviting vista.

(I spent a year in school in Paris a few decades ago and have visited several times over the years, so I know the city pretty well -- this is a great location.)

s
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM

I don't like staying around rue Cler, either, so you aren't alone on that one. Others also don't, so you probably have your reasons. I don't like the Hotel Muguet, either, but I don't think it remarkable if a hotel is clean, I expect it. If I were to stay in that area, I'd pick a nicer hotel.

I wouldn't pay a lot more for a view room in a city, I just don't think any city view is that great. I have paid more for a view room in an area viewing mountains or the sea, actually. So I couldn't say whether such a room would be worth it to you, but the Brighton is supposed to be a nice hotel, though. I wouldn't pay more just to view the Louvre and Tuileries myself, though.

Both those hotels belong to Esprit de France hotel group, which is a good choice. Why don't you also check out their hotel des Saints Peres which is a good area near the Sevres metro stop.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 11:05 AM

I stayed at the Brighton too and the view from our room was outstanding. But the room is alot for what you get but that's Europe or large American cities. But if you can't afford the rates, you can't and it's not worth not enjoying your trip because you will be short of money just to have a good view from your room. Have you looked at bed/breakfasts? I've used worldby.com (they have a Paris website - parisby.com) and we got a very nice B/B in London for not alot of money (for London that is). I don't require a full service hotel so why pay for one. The people at worldby.com are very helpful and I just rented my apartment in Rome from them.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 11:06 AM

I also love staying in the 1st. It's right near the Metro station, and within walking distance of many things to see.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

We have been looking at hotels between 170e and 190e with air conditioning. Friends stayed at Hotel Brighton a few years ago and loved it, so that is why I was considering it.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 06:17 PM

You might check the site anamericaninparis.com
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 09:31 PM

I too have stayed at the Brighton, in a view room. I thought the view was spectacular, and the room was fine.

Would I stay there in a non view room.

Absolutely not. It is a rather dull area at night, and the main street you are on is lined with too many tourist souvenir shops, all selling same stuff. Some poeple like that though.

It is close to the Louvre, but the average American ( just from what I have read on this and other boards over the last few years) seems to go only once to the Louvre, so why pick a hotel for a site you will only visit once?

There are so many cute hotels in nice areas, that you can stay within your budget and find a great place in a great location.. I love the 6th best, but the 4th and 5 th have nice areas too. I avoid staying in the 5th if the hotel is too close to the noisey busy area by the river the Rue Huchette area,, ( sorry about spelling) and I avoid the 7th ( Rue Cler) area as I do not go to Paris to stay on "Middle Americas Favorite street in Paris, thanks to Rick Steves" There are many other areas that have all the same stuff, outdoors cafes and markets,,so branch out!!

For the rate you want to pay look at Hotel Regent on Rue Dauphine in the 6th, fav area, or Hotel Grand Hommes in the 5th, quiet area, but right across from Pantheon and so close to metro and RER( Luxembourg) , and the staff are so nice!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM
dmlove

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Residence Henri IV, near the Sorbonne. It's on a quiet side street, with "local amenities" nearby (laundromat, for ex.), walking distance to Notre Dame etc. We didn't have a view other than of a little garden, but generally speaking, we won't pay extra for a view anyway, since we don't spend any time in our hotel looking out the window!!

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM

We stayed in the New Hotel Roblin, near the Madeleine in the 8th. It is quite central to just about everything. It is just a couple blocks from the river & the Place de la Concorde. I think it was about 150 Euros for the Double & it had air throughout the Hotel. WE liked everything about the place; the room was nice & large with a nice bathroom. It actually was more than we were use to in Paris. We have stayed on Rue Cler a few time & have loved it but some have a problem with what they perceive to be too many Americans. We have never noticed this. I quess we just blend in & have a good time & keep our eyes on the sights.We also keep our Noses tuned to the great smells of the area & not just stuck in the air. Good Travels.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM

>I wouldn't pay a lot more for a view room in a city, I just don't think any city view is that great.<

You have obviously never stayed in a hotel (like the Peninsula) in Hong Kong with a view of Victoria Harbour. You would take out a loan for a view like that, sweetie darling.

Thin,
who is leaving for Paris on Nov. 13

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM

I checked on the rates for the Peninsula Hotel In Hong Kong before going a few months ago & the lowest rate I could get was $575.00 for the lowest class room & it did not have a great view. I could not afford that & could not get someone to co-sign for a loan for me so I stayed somewhere else.I know I chickened out Darling but sometimes it's either we eat for the next month or we stay in that really great room. I paid $40.00 for three nights for a room in an Austrian BB on a Lake once that the view actually did take my breath away. I know that was in 1997 but I bet it still would not cost but about $40.00 a night at the most. In Paris you can have a great view for a lot less than you think, you just have to not let someone else make your mind up for you. OP, you might make a mistake but you will learn what there is out there.I know of one site that has over 800 hotels to pick from on the Internet just in Paris.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 12:43 PM

We stayed at the YMCA - right next door to the Peninsula. Got a harbor view room for about $150 a night and got the same view as the Peninsula for lots less money. Granted we didn't have the Rolls Royce pick us up at the airport etc Was very impressed with the Y - great location, super views, laundry room, and clean. I think you have to reserve your room quite early to get one.