Mercure Paris Ronceray Opera Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2008, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Mercure Paris Ronceray Opéra? It's the hotel for a package trip I'm leading in March. I've read Trip Advisor postings, but I get a much better feel for a place from Fodorites!

Thanks for any info.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 09:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If I didn't already live in Paris, I would love to stay at the Ronceray. It is in the dead center of the Grands Boulevards area, which is the heart of the European tourist area, who have a very good idea of value for money in Paris, unlike a lot of the St. Germain des Prés or 7th arrondissement crowd -- so there are lots of excellent restaurants that are not too expensive, plus the not-at-all excellent but great fun institution of Chartier right around the corner. You will also be right on top of the Musée Grevin, the Paris wax museum, which is overlooked by North American tourists too often.

It is also the best area to visit some of the more interesting covered passages of Paris.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kerouac, but I was wondering if someone had details/opinions on the hotel itself as reviews on Trip Advisor are very mixed. I am well familiar with the area since I stay in the 9th during most all my trips - it's really become my favorite.

So, has nobody actually stayed at this hotel? The website makes it look great - but don't all websites?
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I just know that it was a grand old hotel. The fact that it is now a Mercure means that it was renovated and upgraded, so I would have full confidence in going there.

On the other hand, I just had a bad experience with another Accor hotel, the All Seasons in Metz. Not actually a "bad" experience, because the hotel was okay, but there were numerous details that I plan to point out in a letter that I will be writing to Accor. In their defense, the hotel was just rebranded from another chain a month or two ago, so I know that all of the problems will be fixed, but they should not have claimed that everything was fine already when it wasn't.

(The Ronceray has been a Mercure for at least 10 years, so it should definitely be of Mercure quality -- which I like.)
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM

We stayed there on a package tour a few years ago, and were quite satisfied. Our room was small (common for Paris hotels), but we had a great view over the Paris rooftops to Sacre Coeur.

The location, inside a Paris passage (covered arcade), wasn't a really charming neighborhood, but it is convenient to the Metro so you can get anywhere in Paris very easily. We talked to some other people on the same package whose room was noisier as it faced onto the main street (the Boulevard Montmartre). I don't know if you would have any choice over the room if you have the package deal, but maybe you could contact the hotel and ask for a quiet room.

We found the hotel staff quite helpful, and the breakfasts were great -- a huge buffet.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks nonna, that's exactly the kind of review I needed. Glad to hear the hotel was satisfactory and that the staff and breakfast were good. Since I'm bringing 4 students and 4 parents, its proximity to the metro was a big selling point. If they can walk out the door to the metro then take it back to the hotel with minimum navigation, I'm hoping this will encourage them to go on some ventures without me. I love bringing students a couple of times a year, but I need some time on my own in my favorite city on Earth!