Paris - between 2 hotels

Search

Paris - between 2 hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris - between 2 hotels

Ok, I have tried doing a lot of searches on here and have heard great things about the Hotel d'Angleterre as well as Hotel de Fleurie. D'Angleterre has a Deluxe Room II available for 195 Euros and I am not sure what Fleurie has available. Which one do you think is better based on location and value for quality of room? We are lookign there because we want something romantic and cute but not breaking the bank. Thanks so much!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 06:47 AM
amelia

Baligirl: I have never stayed in the Hotel de Fleurie. I have stayed in the Hotel d'Angleterre.

First, I'm not a fan of the location no matter how many others like it.

Second, I thought the hotel was run down and the staff cool. No, I'm not one of those chatty Americans who needs to bond with the desk clerk. In fact, since the hotel was our first experience in Paris, we just assumed it was a cultural thing. Seven Paris hotels later, I think we can say, "No, the staff is quite cool."

Most important, I think the place is run down, but again, I supposed it might have been our room. We were in the standard room pictured on the website. However, Virtual Tourist has a review of a Deluxe Room II (http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/18308/3/152bd/--scroll down to the bottom for the review, and I think he's describing the room pictured on its website. He seems to have had a similar experience.

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Ok, that scared me. Why is it written up so well other places. Does anyone have a good thing to say about d"angleterre...why don't you like that area...and if we don't stay there...where should we stay?
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 12:46 PM
amelia

Baligirl: I feel I may have implied that Rue Jacob is unsafe. No, no, no--it's perfectly safe, and some people love this street. I just like other areas better.

There are many hotels in your price range, though. When are you going?

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Both d'Angleterre and the Fleurie are in my favorite area of Paris. The Fleurie meets the criteria you have listed. It is on a very small,quiet street and, I think, is good value for the quality. It is so well located that you can walk to all of the central sites. I like the neighborhood of d'Angleterre but am not familiar with the hotel itself.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Got an email this morning that the Fleurie is not available. We are going the Wed. of Thankgiving and leaving the following Tues. I need to send in a check this week if we want to keep the d'angleterre so if you have any other wonderful suggestions for this price range.. please pass them this way-thanks!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:19 AM

We have stayed at the D'Angleterre a few times. We prefer that location. We love the neighborhood.
The hotel has been refurbished, the rooms are no longer tired looking.
The hotel staff might be seen as cool but that suits us fine. They take their jobs seriously. and I am one of those friendly Americans. (but I bonded with the desk clerk anyway But they take great care of their clients and after Sept 11th, we received a Thinking of You card from them..so they might act cool but they are very nice.
I would not however call the hotel "cute".
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've stayed down the street from d'Angleterre at the du Danube and we loved the neighborhood. There were many dining choices close by, and we walked practically everywhere. Good luck with your choice.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:47 AM

We normally stay at the Hotel des Stes-Peres on the rue des Stes-Peres. It is in the same price range and is charming , welcoming and a great location.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Hi, when I stayed at the d' Angleterre in October 2002 my room needed refurbishing. So I understand what Amalia is telling you. I agree with Amalia about the staff being cool meaning aloof. No, I, too, don't need to bond with the desk staff but I must tell you the staff at the d' Angleterre-although cool-were not cold as the staff at the Danube a few doors up. However, my Danube staff experience may have been a one-time thing as others have found the opposite to be true.

I like Rue Jacob and the surrounding streets however.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Sorry, I misspelt your name Amelia.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. These decisions are always so hard! If not cute than what would you call it? Also, any idea when renovations were done?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 11:59 AM

I think it is a little more elegant than cute, the Danube is sort of cute. All that chintz and bright fabrics ( Provencal) but the Angleterre went more for the understated French cool blues and whites with gold trims and antique looking pieces of furniture.
Our last time there, we had a suite..with a fireplace. I would have been happy to just live there ~
Wherever you stay, try to ask for a room on the courtyard, cuts down on risk of getting a noisy room.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful Scarlett - thanks so much for the advice. I guess we are just hoping for a renovated room but are both very excited and I think at this point happy if we do not have to sleep in a tent! Have a good evening
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:28 PM

http://www.patriciawells.com/paris/p...hotel_room.jpg

Baligirl, somewhere there is a site for the hotel. It shows much of the hotel and the rooms. I tried googling but only found this one photo. Just in case you have not seen any photos.
I would call this romantic, no?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 07:30 PM

Finally I found Hotel d' Angleterre's website. Somehow it isn't easy to locate it.

http://www.hotel-dangleterre.com/