Search

Another Paris Hotel Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Paris Hotel Question

Hi,

I've read so many Paris threads and I think my question is a little different, so I wanted to post myself.

I'm planning my mother in law's first trip abroad. She is going to Paris for 8 days in May. She will be traveling alone. She is very independent, but will feel much more comfortable with a very helpful and friendly front desk that will assist in directions and restaurant recommendations. She is on a budget and we are looking for 100-150 Euros a night.

From her reading, she has decided that her ideal Paris trip will involve a ton of walking, sitting in parks, sitting at cafes, and visiting museums. She does not drink any alcohol and though she will enjoy a good meal, she won't be looking for expensive dinners.

We are narrowing our search to the 6th and the part of the 7th closer to the 6th. Does this sound right? She wants a mix of atmosphere and quiet. Do you recommend a different area?

Do you have any specific hotel recommendations that would work well for her?

Thank you so much!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 08:12 AM

I personally find the Ile St. Louis (4th dist.) to be very central to the 5th and 6th districts. The island's main street is wonderful as it contains nice shops, restaurants, and a market. Last visit I stayed at the Hotel Saint Louis which I find to be the most reasonably priced hotel on the island. Rooms tend to be quite small for two but for one person they're liveable. I have stayed also at both the Hotel de Lutece and the Deux Iles on prior visits. Both are nice especially the Lutece, but they are a bit more expensive than the Saint Louis.

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM

I think your plans are fine. Those are both good areas to stay for a variety of reasons, and pleasant.

I've only stayed in one hotel in the 7th in the area you are seeking, and I didn't think they were particularly friendly or helpful at all (the Muguet), so can't recommend them for those reasons. In fact, I didn't like most everyone on the staff there, but particularly one of the desk clerks was rather rude and unhelpful just in answering questions about the hotel services, although I didn't ask them anything about Paris or for restaurant recommendations. The hotel was of decent quality within your price range, though, and convenient to metro stops.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:21 AM

My solo trip to Paris, I stayed in the Hotel Relais du Louvre in the 1eme.
Out the door was the Louvre. Their single room was very comfortable; small refrigerator (good for snacks, wine); breakfast was brought to the room at whatever time I requested. And first and foremost, the staff was a delight.
My room was 99E's a night. I'll admit this, the room was narrow, but long...
I didn't feel the need to "go outside so that I could change my mind". Does it help that I was 52 at the time?
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:01 AM

I've traveled solo and stayed in the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th and if I could get a room on Ile St Louis within my budget that's where I would stay. It's my favorite neighborhood in Paris, convenient to everything. All the rooms I've had in Paris have been small but that's not an issue for me for a week's vacation.

My sister stayed at the Deux Iles on Ile St. Louis last May and loved it.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Have you fixed the exact dates yet for the trip? If not, please keep in mind that May is full of French statutory holidays (May 1, May 8 and May 27 or 28, in 2007). This means that trains, planes and roads can be quite crowded as Parisiens take off and come back from long weekend holidays. That will affect prices, and make it a little more difficult to get in and out of Paris. Transportation workers sometimes like to strike at this time of year, to inconvenience all those people taking holidays. A few museums, shops and restaurants might be closed for holidays, so make sure you check for special holiday hours.

It could also be worth having a look for hotels on the southeastern edge of the 16th arrondissement. This area has good views of the Eiffel Tower (it's just across the river from the 7th), is quite upscale and the Left Bank is easily walkable. The streets and avenues are broader, not quite as narrow and crooked as parts of the Left Bank (although that's part of its charm).

I don't know if you've chosen a hotel yet, but it's worth investigating Best Westerns. They often have quite a lot of charm, and come in a range of prices from about 80 euros up to about 200. They vary quite a lot in quality, though, so you will want to do your research on tripadvisor to check user reviews. One advantage of BW is that it's easy to book a room now and cancel it later, if you find a better option.

If she likes Impressionist Art, she should be sure to include the Musee Marmottan on her to see list. It's a small museum on the western edge of the 16th, and it has an extraordinary collection of Monets (the largest in the world, I think).
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Christie:

We stayed several times on Ile St. Louis, at the Lutece..found it to be perfectly located..walking distance to most of Paris sights and a few Metro stops from others.

Last spring we switched to the Marais district and were very happy with that, also. It seems to have become the "in" place...we had always enjoyed visiting the Marais, but staying there was very practical and comfortable this time. We stayed at the tastefully redecorated Hotel Duo (former Axial Beaubourg), at the edge of the Marais, near Pompidou Center and the City Hall (Hotel de Ville) areas....both window and walk-in shopping is at its best in the Marais according to dear wife, too.

Take it from a fellow Californian (?)You can't go wrong with either location.
Stu T.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like I will expand my search a little bit. I think the Ile St. Louis sounds great and I didn't realize that there were hotels in our budget there. Christina, thanks for the note about the Muguet as that was on our list of hotels. Stu, those hotels all look good and I will add them to my list for her to review.

Suzie, my mother in law will also be 52 at the time of the trip, so I guess it is a good age for solo Paris!

The dates are set from May 15-24 so it looks like it doesn't conflict with the holidays. Husband and I are traveling to Florence in early May and she'll be watching our daughter, but she wants to go in May, so she is going in the second half of the month.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM
ira

Hi CCA,

I think that the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. Would work well for your mother.

It is within her budget.
Front desk is staffed 24/7.
It has an elevator and AC.
It is located near 3 metro stops.
Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/ludgd

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:33 PM

Leaving on May 24th shouldn't be a problem. It might be a little busier than the average Thursday, as some Parisiens might decide to take a super long weekend, but the bigger departing crowds would be on Friday.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 03:47 AM

Let me add to Ira's suggestion of Hotel Bonaparte. I thought of it immediately when you described your MIL.

In our stays there, the staff stands out as one of the highlights---friendly, helpful and very approachable. I like that they bring a tray to your room in the morning (just call down and order breakfast when you wake up). The immediate vicinity is quite upscale: attractive shops, lots of cafes/restaurants, good for strolling.

I haven't priced a single, but I suspect it would be in the 110-120 euro range.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:13 AM

http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com

I've stayed at this hotel and it is in a wonderful location, steps from Notre Dame and the Seine, Ile St. Louis, Blvd St Germain. Look at the location map on the site. It's on a quiet, one-way street with views of the Seine and Ile St Louis (if you have a front room) and hotel service was good.

I think you will have a hard time finding a well-located hotel for 100 euros these days, especially in May -- high season. Don't wait too long to make reservations when you've decided on hotel options, hotels in the center are small and book early.

I like this location and the Ile St Louis because I love being so close to the Seine; it's beautiful at night with the lights of Notre Dame and other lighted buildings reflected on the water, and it's quick and easy to cross the bridges to the right bank.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM

Louisa,
You know I love Hotel de Notre Dame as much as you do. But, having stayed at both, I think the Bonaparte may be better suited for her MIL. The metro/bus options are significantly better at the Bonaparte. I think the staff is more cheerful. And the window shopping is tons more fun!

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM

Well, it depends on what the MIL is looking for in terms of shopping. There are nice shops along the rue St. Louis en L'Ile and also in the Marais district. St. Germain has nice boutiques and shops and around the 7th (bordering the 6th) on the rue du Bac, for instance, they're very nice. But I find the cafes on the Ile St. Louis facing the back of Notre Dame afford more scenic views than the ones in St. Germain, but this is just one more opinion.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 10:07 AM

My vote is for the st germain des pres area in the 6th. The following hotels should be in your mom's budget: hotel des deux continents, hotel du danube and hotel verneuil.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM

I think what we have here is everyone's personal imagining of what a mother-in-law is like!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Good point JeanneB!

I have printed out information about all of these hotels for my mother in law. I will be seeing her for Thanksgiving and we will have a blast going through the pros and cons of each one. Hopefully a decision will be made so she can be booked this weekend!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 09:58 PM

I agree that the 6th or the 7th is the nicest, and most convenient area of the city to park yourself while you explore the city. I highly recommend Hotel Verneuil in the 6eme - I've stayed there twice. Lovely rooms (on the small side as they all are), marble bathrooms. Located on a quiet side street off Rue de Seine - between Blvd. St. Germain and the Seine. Great Location(42-60-82-14 phone) Also, Hotel d'angleterre- the former british embassy - rooms tend to be slightly larger here. Biggest/best room is room 51 (top floor suite). (phone- 42-60-34-72). Finally, if you can splurge for a really nice hotel, I highly recommend the Hotel Duc de Saint-simon.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:13 AM

regarding the Bonaparte price, I have a reservation for the beginning of June, 97 Euro for a single room including breakfast.
(take notice that they do have a cancellation fee of 16 Euro from the date of reservation).
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:22 AM

Regarding the Verneuil I stayed in a standard room (#401) which was extra tiny even for Paris. The bathroom, however, was almost as large as the bedroom. Aunt stayed in a dlx. double (#402) which was spacious, nice; bathroom was smaller than 401's although it had two bathrobes included.

Better to reserve a deluxe double room. We reserved room #302 last time; it was a bit smaller than #402.

Night manager recommends top floor room (#502) if you want light as it has two windows.

Did not like both the Danube and Angleterre-just unlucky probably with our rooms at these places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -