taxi line at FCO airport

Old Sep 15th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taxi line at FCO airport

I will arriving at FCO airport on Friday and I can have my hotel send me a taxi or I can get one on the taxi line at airport. Just wondering what is better. How hard is it to find the driver when someone comes to pick you up.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Usually a car service will meet you outside of the customs exit, holding a sign with your name. BUT, if they are late or miss you or have a problem, it can be a pain.

If you go to the regular taxi line (outside of arrivals/customs, out the door and follow the sign to Taxis) you will join a line and get in an official Rome taxi with a set rate into the city.

It is very simple.

If you step out the door a tout or private driver may try to grab you, but if you head with purpose to the official taxi rank, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Usually a hired driver will stand somewhere with your name on a sign at the airport.

If cost isn't an issue then perhaps the pre-arranged ride might be better.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The cost in an official taxi is SET from the airport. BEWARE of those others who will accost you the minute you are out the door. They hang out at the airport as well as Termini.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 09:33 AM

My husband has told his buddies that on my Rolodex of his sins to be presented to St Peter at the Pearly Gates was his failure to heed my warning before I went to the restroom at FCO:

"I need to use the facilities. Please, please do not take a ride with anyone outside the taxi line."

I came out of the restroom to find that we are booked with two guys in three-piece suits before the airport exit doors.

What makes it more funny is that I have two daughters. even though they are truly Daddy's Girls, like their mother, they remember EVERYTHING. They like to bring this incident up at Xmas and Thanksgiving.

Luckily for him, now that they are older, we don't always see the two of them at the same holiday.

We have returned to Rome twice since. My husband now walks REALLY fast to the taxi ranks. No detours.

I still feel I have to "hold", though, just in case.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 10:36 AM

You can hire a reliable private service to take you into Rome for as little as €45. If the hotel's service costs more than that, I would decline it and hire a service on your own from either www.romeshuttlelimousine.com or www.romecabs.com . The price varies by time of day, whether you use them for the return trip to the airport, how far you're going, and number of people. If you tell them those details, they'll give you a firm quote and you pay them when you get to the hotel.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 10:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The set fee for an official Rome taxi is 48€ for 4 people including luggage. An official city of Fiumicino taxi is higher (around 60€ set fee). An advanced booked limo service can be a few euro cheaper such as Rome Shuttle Limousine. Rogue taxis you are on your own.

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/...t-transfer.php
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 04:43 PM

We always just grab an official Rome taxi - no fuss, no muss, no searching for a driver who may be early, late, or not able to spell your name.