santorini in march 2007 cave type hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our honeymoon in Santorini for 10 days beginning March 25th 2007. I like the hotel rooms that look like caves inside. We were thinking of staying in Fira a few nights and in Oia for probably 7 nights. Any suggestions for hotels in both cities, cave-like rooms, with veranda overlooking water. Also, is it hard to find rooms in March?
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM
GBC

I think Greece, and Santorini in particular, is a wonderful travel destination. A honeymoon that includes Santorini is a great idea but I fear that perhaps you will be traveling too early in the season. The island is just starting to wake up around Easter when you will be returning home.

A poster here is very knowledgeable about Santorini. He posts as brotherleelove. I suggest that you repost your question under Greece and provide a few more details such as if this is a first trip to Europe, etc. I hope that he will spot your posting and be able to assist you.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Unless you hit an unseasonably warm spell, you will not have beach weather that early. Of course, the views will still be as beautiful, but 10 days sounds like a long time on Santorini w/o benefit of beaches. Just MO.

I recommend Volcano View Villas for a reasonably-priced "cave hotel" with gorgeous views of the caldera. It is, however, not in Fira, but a couple of miles out of town. They do provide a shuttle to town several times a day.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:14 PM

I was in Santorini in late April a few years back and it was cold during our first couple of days. The island was quiet as we were so early in the season. I doubt much will be open--that includes hotels and restaurants. We enjoyed staying at the Sun Rocks Villas.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:15 PM

Sorry, Sun Rocks is in Firostephani, not Oia.
www.sunrocks.gr
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:24 AM

First of all, congratulations on your forthcoming marriage!

Brotherleelove will, I'm sure, see this post and come back with some detailed advice on Santorini. If I were to pick one island to visit in late March, it would be Santorini.

I must say, though, you would probably enjoy your stay in Greece more if you split the 10 days between Santorini and the mainland, spending a couple of days in Athens and the rest somewhere like Nafplio in the Peloponnese.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:12 AM

I stayed in the Loucas Hotel in 2000, which is in Fira. I really enjoyed the hotel and the location. I believe all the rooms are "cave like" rooms and have balconies with a view of the caldera.
Martha
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 06:37 AM

check out www.i-escape.com which has some very cool boutique-style hotels including the kind you're referring to.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am getting a bit worried about being bored there for 10 days in March. If we decide to stay on Santorini, should we split our stay between Fira and Oia? We wouldn't mind going to different islands, but it looks like the ferries, etc. don't run often in March, and we don't want to get into a lot of extra expense with plane tickets. Most of the things I have read about Fira say it's too crowded for romance, but maybe it would be better for restaurants and taverns in March?
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Hi Greenbead. Congrats on your marriage and fantastic honeymoon plans! I don't usually reply to inquiries on Greece, as I've only been there once, in June 2000, but when I saw what you were inquiring about I had to respond. My husband and I had a fantastic experience spending 7 days in Oia. I found the "Atlantis Villas," quintessential cave hotel rooms/apartments, on the web, and was so thrilled when we arrived to see how stunning they were! Their website is www.atlantisvillas-santorini.com. A taxi can take you from the airport to the road where the hotel is, at the beginning of Oia (which is an artistic, beautiful and quaint village), and the hotel will send its porter and donkey to get your luggage and lead you down the hillside to your room. The hotel spills down the hillside and overlooks the sea. The rooms are simple, but tastefully done. Each morning we ate a delightful breakfast on the upper tier terrace overlooking the sea. I am not one to sit still on vacation, but this was the first place that convinced me that it was worthwhile to do nothing but sit by the pool and admire the unbelievable view! One day we went to Fira, and we were so glad we had not chosen that as our place to stay, as it is much bigger, filled with t-shirt shops, and far less quaint. We never tired of walking down into Oia and visiting its artists studios, cafes, and especially walking all the way down to the beach on the far side for a fresh fish lunch and wine prepared on the beach at Katia's. Since we were flying in and out of Athens, we spent a couple nights at the start and one at the end, in different neighborhoods, so we could take in much of what the city had to offer...loved it! Good luck!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Greenbead, don't worry about ferries - they operate year-round. Ferries are there for islanders, not for tourists. Islanders need to get back and forth to the mainland, and need food and other supplies over winter.

From the beginning of October until Easter the Greek Islands are very quiet, with few tourists, and many hotel and restaurant owners back on the mainland for the winter. The full time island residents revert to their off season occupations, or relax until the next tourist season.

Frankly, the mainland is where everything is happening over winter. I question whether you will find enough variety between Oia and Fira to justify spending ten days on Santorini.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Let me add a bit about ferries: during summer ferry companies take their highspeed catamarans out of mothballs to provide extra capacity, and to link popular tourist islands that are on different ferry routes.

In March you wouldn't be able to get from Santorini to Crete or Mykonos without returning to Athens, because they are on different routes. In summer they are linked by a passenger-only catamaran.

Santorini is on the Cyclades Central route, and there are daily ferries between it and Piraeus, stopping enroute at Naxos and Paros. You wouldn't have any problem adding either of these islands to your itinerary, but they will be even sleepier than Santorini at the end of March.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:59 PM
GBC

Greenbead...I think OIA is ideal for a honeymoon. 4 or 5 nights would be great, just be aware that your timing is very early for the Greek Islands.

When thinking about additional locations within Greece, you may find that airfare is much more reasonable than you might suppose. Check Aeagean Airlines fares. The service is good and the price usually is too.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM

I know that many people claim Oia is much better than Fira because Fira is too crowded and noisy. Oddly enough most of the people who say that have never stayed in Fira, so are simply repeating what they were told. We stayed at the Loucas (mentioned above) in Fira. When you are in your room or on your terrace facing the fantastic caldera -- you could be 50 miles from civilization -- the end result of that is no different that Fira. Meanwhile, I'm having a hard time picturing Fira being crowded or noisy in March, but then I've not been there that time of year.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Loucas.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:00 AM

If budget is no problem - I would highly recommend Perivolas. All rooms are cave types....some with awesome views. Only villa/ room to stay away from is the one by the pool. Perivolas is in Oia and I preferred it to Fira. The staff at Perivolas was really nice. Lovely infinity pool...small ofcourse but it fits. Complimentary drinks every evening...and a lovely sunset. Would recommend going to another island ...we spent 5 nights in Oia and 2 in Athens... like you, we did not want to fly / travel too much. I think Olympic has cheap flights if you book in advance..or it maybe Aegean air, forget which one is the internal airline. Good luck. AM sure it will be a lovely honeymoon where ever you choose to go!