Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I took Santorini off my itinerary - I feel guilty! Is it really an absolute must see?

I took Santorini off my itinerary - I feel guilty! Is it really an absolute must see?

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I decided to take Santorini off my itinerary in favor of Milos and Sifnos. Any thoughts? The islands are at the end of my 3 month trip and I want to plan a good walking island, peace quiet and simple reflection before heading home. I cant help feeling guilty! I am going to be soooo close to Santorini (and yet so far via ferry schedule) maybe I should make the journey whatever the cost....

Any comments appreciated!

Murp
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Murphy89, maybe you should reconsider...

Santorini is really unique; there is nothing like it anywhere else.

I don't know how much time you have for Santorini if you give up Milos or Sifnos for it, but spend a day or two in a place overlooking the caldera, then go somewhere inland (if you can find accommodation). There are parts of Santorini that are peaceful and quiet.

I hope Brotherleelove chimes in here, because my visit to the interior of Santorini dates way back...
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Santorini is a must if going to Greece!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 09:52 AM

I would also recommend putting Santorini back on your schedule. It is a one of a kind place - and is really magical. If you like hiking - do the hike on Santorini between Fira and Oia. It's an up and down rocky hike along the caldera, which takes about 3 hours. I did the hike when in Santorini in 2000, leaving Fira about 9 in the morning and arriving in Oia in time for a great lunch on a rooftop terrace. Then I wandered around shopping in Oia before taking a bus back to Fira. That makes for a great day. There is nothing like reflecting gazing out from the caldera. I had a room at the Loucas Hotel, right on the caldera, with a balcony. There is nothing like it elsewhere in the world.

Martha
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:36 AM

I agree, Santorini is a must! I actually liked Crete a lot because there was so much to see and do, but Santorini was the perfect way to end our trip. Beautiful, peaceful, awe-inspiring. I recommend staying in Oia. We stayed at Nikos Villa. All the villas in this hotel overlook the caldera. The sunset was amazing!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Definitely keep Santorini on your itinerary. I loved it!! I don't know anything about Milos and Sifnos, but do recommend Santorini.

Monica
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM
rex

Three MONTHS!? You should feel guilty! I sentence you to come home a week early, and I will go to Santorini for you, and report back to you!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Good Point Rex - lol! Well, I was half afraid you'd all say that. It confirms my own suspicions...that I would regret passing it by. As I am not willing to cut out Milos and Sifnos I'll have to add it on....I just can't figure out a good way to get there - my guide indicates poor connections between these three islands. I may have to wing it but your points are well taken.

Thanks Guys,

Murphy
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:25 PM

You do have SOME options via ferry. Go to www.gtp.gr and you'll see that there are actually some ferries from both Sifnos and Milos to Santorini as well as from Sifnos and Milos to Paros where you can pick up a ferry to Santorini. This time of year the timetables are extremely limited, but you can check back when you're closer to the time of your actual trip to see what's been added.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:41 AM

Santorini is a must because it is different from all other greek islands due to its geological formation. It is truly unique and was number 2 in travel and leisure's list of favorite islands and listed as one of the top 50 places to see before u die. i live here and still stop to look at the view from the cliffs every day.

Niko
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:43 AM

you can also try www.ferries.gr for greek ferry routes.

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:45 AM

I have to say that I'd barely heard of Santorini before I started visiting this forum. It seems to be *the* must-visit place in Greece - but only for Americans, for some reason. Is it like the Cinque Terre & that bloke Rick Steves says you should go there ?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 04:19 AM

I have no idea whether Rick Steves recommends Santorini or not. My first visit there was in 1971, well before Mr. Steves started out in the travel business. I went there because I had read about ancient Greek and Minoan civilization. Unfortunately, too few people who go to Greece bother to do so.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM

"Only for Americans?"

If you go to Santorini you'll see how inaccurate that really is.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:18 PM

I agree with the others that you should see Santorini. If you like to walk there are paths around the edge of the cauldera as well as the other gentle side. A good hike is up to ancient Thera.

"only for Americans"? I think I met more Germans and Scandinavians than anybody else. Maybe because the Yanks stand out more they are more obvious. I was shopping in Fira one day and a lady with a loud southern drawl came into the shop and said loudly "calamari,calamari". I think she meant to say "kalimera,kalimera" which is Greek for good morning, good morning.Instead the shop owner got "squid,squid"
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:02 PM

Hi!
Santorini is the best island! I recommend you to visit it! Do not miss the opportunity! Of course you can relax in Santorini! The appropriate place to do that is Kamari, a seaside village. It combines everything. Restaurants, taverns, cinema, romantic bars next to the sea... If you want to read more information about Kamari you can visit this web site:

www.kamari.gr

Have fun!
Moschoula
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 02:38 AM

Caroline, I suspect it's because us Brits have traditionally gone to Greek islands for the sun, sea and sand rather than the sightseeing (and it's beaches aren't great as it's volcanic). It's also on the pricey side for Greece, which would put off package holiday goers ( and hence package holiday companies).

I can't imagine Americans coming all this way for a beach holiday, and so I suspect sightseeing is more the reason - hence the popularity of Santorini. Santorini IS spectacular.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:06 AM

Hi Kate. Interesting stuff. I wasn't trying to get at anyone : as I'm sure you realised, I never said that only Americans go there; only that on this forum I've been struck by the fact that it seems to be *the* must-see place in Greece for Americans.

I've noticed the difference between American Fodorites' attitudes to visiting say, the Amalfi Coast, and mine. I've so far been 3 times & generally spend most if not all days just relaxing, swimming, eating, drinking & enjoying the views; as opposed to doing a different day trip every day. To the extent that I still haven't been to Pompei, Herculaneum or Paestum - even though my degree was in archaeology ! Spending a week in Naples this year, though, so hoping to rectify that then - if I can be bothered

I guess it is a combination of the fact that Americans are travelling further (although of course we go to the Caribbean just to laze around !) and that most of them get a lot less holiday than we do ?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:15 AM

You haven't been to Pompeii??? Sacrilege!

But you've got a fair point, it's so easy for us to get to these places for a relaxing break, we often have an 'a domani' attitude to siteseeing.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:21 AM

Especially when it's a bit hot

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information