Recommendations for Honeymoon in Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello -- we booked our flights today to Greece for $1134.00/pp (cheapest we've seen in a while). So now that we got our flights covered, we need to book our hotel ASAP. We want to go to Santorini for 3/4 days, Mykonos for 4 nights and Athens for 1/2 nights. We are leaving June 12th and returning June 22nd -- we basically have 9 nights. Could you please recommend nice romantic hotels with oceanviews in Santorini and Mykonos and a mid-class hotel in Athens? (we don't need to stay in a very nice hotel in Athens bc we'll be sightseeing most of the time). We'd prefer to be walking distance to the beach. Please recommend some hotels. Thank you so much!
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM

On Santorini "walking distance" suggests Perissa Beach, Kamari Beach, Red Beach/Akrotiri, Monolithos, or Perivolos. Kamari has the most to offer, but be aware that the beaches on Santorini aren't the best in the Cyclades since they're black sand or black/red rock. They can be hot on your feet, so be sure to take flip-flops.

Most people go to Santorini for the caldera views, not the beaches. You might want to take a look at the cliffside villages before making up your mind: Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli and Oia.
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. You are right Santorini is more about the view than about the beaches. We have heard the island is gorgeous. But I also wanted to be at a nice hotel where we could at least go for a swim. We are considering Aspaki hotel (a bit expensive, about $300/pn) -- they have beautiful rooms but no pool. Is there a hotel you would recommend for honeymooners. We really do want to go to Santorini. Thanks for your help!
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:12 AM
tn

In Mykonos, we stayed at the Petasos Beach Hotel. It is within easy walking distance of two beaches and has rooms with great views of the sea. In addition, the bus to Mykonos Town is right outside its door. It also has the benefit of not being terribly expensive (in comparison to other similarily situated hotels) and is a very nice hotel.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:18 AM

For Honeymooners, hotels with pools:

Firostefani has Sun Rocks (couples only). Firostefani is good because it's close to all of Fira's nightlife, an easy walk.

Oia has Esperas, Kirini, Katikies, Perivolas Villas, and the less-expensive but very nice Volcanos Villas. Nightlife in Oia is limited to restaurants, a few quiet bars and the traditional Greek Bouzoukia, Santorini Mou.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:20 AM

By the way, I love Aspaki. It's the most unique and creative group of houses on the island. I hope you stay there even if there isn't a pool. Be advised that none of the hotel pools will be heated except by the sun.
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM

I just returned from Mykonos, Santorini and Athens. On Mykonos we stayed at the San Marco hotel - a wonderful hotel that I recommend highly. It is not right on the beach - but has lovely views from all of the terraces and many of the hotel rooms. It is one of the most charming hotels I have ever stayed in. It also has a great pool area and a hotel van that runs back and forth into Mykonos town on a regular basis. In Santorini, we stayed at the Kastelli on Kamari Beach - no water view and I did not particularly care for the hotel. The Atlantis in Fira has beautiful views and seemed to be very nice (though more expensive). In Athens, we stayed at the Titania, which was nice and I believe reasonable (we booked through a travel agency so I am not sure of the cost of each individual hotel). Have a wonderful time. The temperatures were well below normal during my stay - but should be beautiful by the time you arrive in June.