Hotel Recos for Mykonos / Santorini

Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Recos for Mykonos / Santorini

I am planning my first trip to Greece the last week of Sept / first week of October with my husband and am looking for tips on hotels in Mykonos and Santorini.

We'd like to be somewhere quiet and relaxing but within easy walking distance (or public transportation) to the key attractions. Ideally we'd like something "luxurious" but not more than 200 Euros per night.

For Mykonos we were told to look at the Petasos Beach Resort & Spa and the Kouros Hotel. Any thoughts? Any other hotels we should look at?

In Santorini we were given mixed reports on which side of the island to stay on. One friend suggested Homeric Poems. Any reviews? Or additional suggestions?

Thanks for your help! I welcome any tips for dining and activities as well. I love this forum. Thanks!
Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:48 AM

I'd strongly suggest you NOT stay at a beach hotel in Mykonos. Stay in Mykonos Town so you can walk places there. You can reach beaches by public transport, or you can rent a cheap scooter or ATV to get around for a day or two.

In Santorini, you'll find scant "luxury" for 200 euros, but you could find a nice place to stay. Stay in either Firostefani or Imerovigli, both of which are within walking distance of Fira; it's better to take the bus or rent a car/scooter to get to Oia.

If you don't want to do any driving on your own, there are tours that will take you to the sights around the islands.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM

I totally agree with the Fodor's editor. We stayed on the beach in Mykonos and regretted it because we had to depend on buses to get back and forth to town. Sometimes it seemed like a considerable wait for one, too.

For Santorini, I'd suggest pulling up posts written by BROTHERLEELOE2004 and HEIMDALL, both of whom have made many recommendations for all kinds of budgets.

We stayed in Oia, and much preferred it to Fira, but I think in your price range, it may be hard to find something reasonable.

by the way, Santorini was one of our favorite islands during a 3-week trip to Greece last summer. Mykonos not so much.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM

The caldera side of Santorini offers the best views on the island. These views are what most people enjoy. The beaches disappoint many people because they're not of the white sand variety but are either black or red volcanic rock/pebbles/grit, and the main beach areas are highly-developed resort areas.

Oia is the most beautiful village on the island and is the most intact architecturally. The island has an excellent bus system with its hub in the main village of Fira, so you can get to all the attractions without the need for a rental car or motorcycle.

Firostefani is also a good choice because it's just a short walk into Fira but is not crowded or overloaded commercially like Fira.

Check the Villa Ilias, Anastasis Villas, Atrina Houses, Aspaki Suites, Delfini Hotel (the one in Oia), La Perla Villas and Oia Mare.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I stayed at the Petasos Beach Hotel and loved it. Right at the end of the bus line and the ride to town was short and frequent. Late in the evening we needed to take a taxi, but the hotel was so lovely and the service so personal that we didn't mind at all.

Firostephani on Santorini is a good compromise as you can easily walk into town yet stay in a quiet, lovely area with terrific views.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:59 PM

Maybe it depends what beach you stay on. We were at Grecotel Blu on Psarou Beach, and transportation to town was a headache. Buses were slow, and taxis were very difficult to get most evenings. The lack of decent transportation really hampered our enjoyment of the island.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM

I second the recommendation of Firoestfani. We stayed there, at the Hotel Ira, last year. We had a comfortable, caldera-facing room w/a balcony for 85 Euro/night, but we were in one of the cheapest rooms ("standard double"). They have more luxurious rooms if that's what you're after, and they're renovating this spring.
http://www.irahotel.com/

Firostefani was a half-mile walk downhill to Fira. Coming home, the walk can be a little strenuous, but it's doable. We rented a car for a day and drove all around the island. Next time we go there, we want to spend a few days on Kamari Beach, and a few back in Hotel Ira.
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips!!!
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:14 PM

We loved the Petasos Beach Hotel and the views from our room. It was so easy to get in and out of town on the buses that stopped across from the hotel.