Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Info. wanted on "procedures" ORD to CVG to FCO - when customs ....

Apr 6th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

I know I am probably anal about this, but I would like a visual in my mind of how this all works. We are leaving Chicago on Delta and going to Cincinnati then on to Rome. On the return we are leaving Venice, stop at JFK and then return to ORD. In Chicago do we go to international gate? When do we show passports? We are doing all carry-on does this matter where we go when we get to Rome? I would appreciate someone telling me the procedures and what to expect at each airport or where I can look to get this information. Thanks so much for your time and information.
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Chicago -

Go check-in and drop off bags at regular DL counter. They'll ask you to show passport. There is no separate counters or gate or anything. Just like a domestic flight.

Cincinnati -

Also nothing different from a domestic-domestic connection. You walk to your new gate and board aircraft.

Rome -

You go through immigration. With no checked luggage, you don't need to wait for them. Walk out of the green customs exit if you have nothing to declare.

Venice -

Check-in at Delta desks. You will then go through immigration to exit Schengen, and security.

JFK -

Go through US immigration and customs. Reclear security.
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:14 PM

you will show your passport when you check in in ord. Then photo ID through security.

again in cincinnati at GATE, most likely. and again upon arrival in FCO at immigration.l

Then you will proceed to leave building with carry-on.

on return, at FCO you will show passport to check-in and get boarding pass, and also at security and the immigration agent upon leaving for USA. Most likely again at gate.

You will also show passports at immigration upon arrival at first USA city. Then proceed through CUSTOMS to declare goods.

You will not be showing your passport to any more officals after this.

correct me colleagues, if i have forgotten something!
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

thanks - I appreciate the information. I am so much more relaxed when I know what is probably (at least supposed to)going to happen! thanks again.