Please help with Naples/Pompei day trip.

Apr 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Please help with Naples/Pompei day trip.

Iíll in Italy for 2 weeks over the summer and I plan on taking a long day trip to Pompei from Rome. Iíll take the train from Termini to Garibaldi and from there the Circumvesuvia to Pompei. I also would like to spend some time in Naples going to see the Museo Acheologico. Thatís probably all Iíll do in NaplesÖI donít want to cram the day too much.
What would be the best way to schedule this? Should I see the Museo first? Or after Pompei?

How early should I leave? Iíve heard that Garibaldi station isnít very pleasant later in the evening. What time should I plan on heading back to Rome?
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM

i wouldn't worry about Garibaldi station, a part practically of Naples Centrale... it looks like a dicey area day or night.

I day tripped to Naples from Rome recently and walked around the whole day and enjoyed Naples immensely. But when i returned to the station area for my train back to Rome i decided to cop a gelato and whilst occupied slurping it stepped in a hole in the sidewalk - one of many holes in streets and sidewalks i saw and fell smack on my face - hard and nose was bleeding like all heck.

I became disoriented for a few minutes - dazed and confused - people came up and offered help,i refused but just asked where the train station was (I was standing smack in front of it) and thought i'd be allright.

I ended up being taken by ambulance to ER for stitches, X-rays, etc.

Point is it was after dark and the area seemed dicey - the last place in Europe you'd want to be disjointed by folks were nice and except for pickpockets perhaps i'd not be afraid of the area at all... in retrospect.

Yes i really fell for Naples.
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Probably best to see Museum first if you don't want to be there in the evening. Museum hrs 9am - 8pm. CLOSED TUESDAYS unlike most museums in Italy. Pompei hours 8:30 to 7:30 but closes at 5pm Nov - March. Check with trenitalia.com for train times from Naples.
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I not really that worried about being in Naples in the evening. I just heard that the train station isn't the nicest place in town.
Even if we do the museum first I'll still be passing through the Naples station on my way back to Rome.

It is better to see the artifacts at the Museo first and then the actual site of Pompei? Or better to see the site and then the artifacts?

How long should I expect to spend at Pompei and how long at the Museo?
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:08 PM

I've done it both ways and I prefer seeing Pompei first. I think it's better to get the feel of being there first. Take a good guide book so when you get to the museum you will remember where things were. I have no idea how much time you will spend in either. We like to spend 4 or 5 hours in Pompei then maybe 3 in the museum. But we've been many times.
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:09 PM
ira

Hi H,

>How long should I expect to spend at Pompei and how long at the Museo? <

Might you not be overplanning a bit? Both sites are open at about the same time.

Take the early train to Naples.

Go to the Museum or to Pompei Scavi.

Go to the other place.

Have dinner .

Go back to Rome on the late train.

Enjoy your visit.

Apr 6th, 2007, 01:20 PM

People seem to worry an awful lot about the "seedy" areas around train stations. Well, I happen to be a little different in that regard-I actually LIKE that energy around the train stations-something's always happening-I'm from the big city, and so nothing I see in any of Italy's big main stations fazes me one bit-(not that I've seen much of anything). I've walked around Milan Centrale's train station at midnight by myself, just taking in that stunning facade, and haven't been worried or felt unsafe in the least-same for Amsterdam's Centraal-I've around that area late at night by myself, have seen drug deals go down, but nobody bothered me. There are plenty of law enforcement around, cameras-so, what's the problem?

Napoli Centrale is no different. The good thing about the area around train stations is that you can buy some things you need more cheaply than in other parts of the city-like a cheap suitcase, for example. I've been there during the day and night, and did get hit on by one of the law enforcement guys at the station, who wanted to take me out after I got back from Pompeii-of course that was a no-go from the beginning, but, as always, it was amusing. (however, far more amusing was the ferry ride between Amalfi and Sorrento-my friends were very entertained by my little story involving the first mate!)

Heeney-I think your day is a bit ambitious-I would get to Pompeii first, and see how many hours you spend there, and then make a decision whether you can get to the Museo in time before it closes. I would leave as early as possible from Termini however, so you can get to Pompeii when it opens.
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mimi.

I not planning on making out an actual time schedule of how long I have for each place. I can't bring my self to be that organized!
Just want to make sure that I'd have enought time to see both the town and the museum without having to hussle too much.

Is it OK to by the Rome-Naples tickets on the same day I leave (using the automated machines at Termini)? Or should I get them maybe the day before?
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Depends on the season, but nothing wrong at all with getting them the day before.
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Actually from my walkabout town i'd say that the train station is one of the nicest places in town - lots of police, etc. and clean and modern. so station to taxi out front should be no worry.
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

"so station to taxi out front should be no worry"

Since you mentioned that. I know that Naples traffic is legendary. So is it better to take a taxi to and from the museum? Or should we hop on the subway and get off at the museum stop?
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM

I was there on a Sunday and thus relatively little traffic. And taxis could use the bus and tram only lanes... though many other cars were as well - actually so more traffic in the tram/taxi only lane than on the regular lane.

Can't answer that Q.
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Museum is about 1.25 miles from the train station so taxi would be best. Metro? not for me
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM

I was just in Naples, visited Pompeii and dont at all see this as a doable day trip from Rome. Visit Pompeii - sign up on the Arethusa website to see one or two of the special access houses and their murals. Make sure you check out the Villa of Mysteries, the Stabian Baths (I couldnt figure out from my maps where the recently unearthed Suburban Baths which you can view via Arethusa) were located on the site, the Temple of Isis, house of the Faun, etc (theres a repro of the faun and of the famous mosaic, much more evocative on site in Pompeii than in the museum in Naples.

In any case, definitely go straight onto the Circumvesuviana to the Pompeii/Villa dei Misterii stop - it will take about 30 min from Naples Termini. You could easily spend the whole day in the site (get the audioguide - it has to be returned by 5 pm.) If you get back to Naples in time to go to the Museum and see Herc and some of the mosaics its great, but less meaningful than visiting the site. The fact is that most of the sculpture etc coming out of Pompeii was relatively pedestrian, especially compared to what to see in Rome. (the best stuff in the collection, save for that mosaic, is from the Farnese collection) Go to the National Museum in Rome for topflight greek sculpture, wonderful mosaics and the beautiful house of Livia paintings - it exceeds by far anything you will see in the Archeological museum in Naples. I dont want to diss the museum, just put it in proper perspective.

It might be much more interesting to get a taste of Naples itself (maybe a pizza in Spaccanapoli?) before your return.