Santa Margherita Ligure Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Santa Margherita Ligure in April and could use some help on an inexpensive, but centrally located hotel. We will be traveling by train from Cinque Terre, and will be going to Milan by train when we leave Santa Margherita. I see alot of good reviews for the Hotel Laurin and also the Hotel Jolanda.
Any reccomendations would sure be appreciated, as we need to book very soon.
Thank you.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM

We stayed at the Horel Laurin several times and enjoyed it very much. Our rooms were comfortable but not fancy. We had our own terraces with sea views. The hotel has a great roof-top pool with wonderful views of the surrounding area. The first time we stayed there, we had a reservation at Villa Gnocchi but it was not at all what we expected from website descriptions and other recommendations and so, at the last minute, we went with Plan B which was the Hotel Laurin and we enjoyed it very much - enough to return a second time two years ago. It is close to restaurants and other area points of interest.

Have a great trip! SML is beautiful.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM

I have stayed at Hotel Jolanda several times and I will be there again in April. I have always had nice rooms with air conditioning, wonderful breakfast, and helpful staff. The lobby is extra nice. I have thought about trying Hotel Laurin, but I had such good stays at Jolanda that I don't want to take the chance. But I have heard that the Laurin is nice.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM

we were very satisfied with the comfortable Laurin...good location on the yacht harbor, walk to everywhere within the town..catch a boat or bus to nearby Portofino...hike up into the hills for some smashing views of the sea...take a quivk train ride in Camogli....delightful fishing town.. While in SM, be sue to experience an amazing trattoria "Cesarina", near the Laurin..a mom and pop, where it's best NOT to order from the mneu..just let 'em bring it on..very reasonable (schockingly so!)..enjot.

stu T.

stu T.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM

This is part of my trip report, from Santa Margherita Ligure:

"We (my daughter and I) really enjoyed the Nuova Riviera, via Belvedere 10, www.nuovariviera.com. The little B&B hotel is located on a slight hill, on a quiet narrow road, in a nice semi-residential neighborhood, only 200 meters from the harbor and the center of town. They call it a “liberty villa with garden”, and you feel at home there.

"The owner met us at the front gate, to assist with our bags from the taxi up to our room on the third floor. There is a beautiful staircase at the Nuova Riviera, but no elevator. Breakfast is included (very simple pre-packaged rolls, but nice cappuccino, also simple juice). Our room was very reasonable, 98.50 EUR for a double/twin with breakfast. (It would have been slightly less expensive if I hadn't gone through venere.com)

"Actually, our room had three twin beds, and was quite large with a big wardrobe, a desk, a roll-top desk, and two upholstered chairs. The room had a unique rounded wall, with large windows, and also a ceiling fan. The bathrooms are relatively new, with nicely tiled shower stalls. It was sparkling clean and very charming.

"The owner and his manager live there, I think, so they are there to say Hello and Goodbye whenever you are coming and going. It's a very personal touch, so you feel like you're staying in a private residence really. They are very helpful in answering questions, providing maps and directions."
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM

vikchik,

We stayed at the Hotel Lauren (2000) and were very happy with it. Great location. We had one of the rooms with the large, private terrace facing the harbor.

Breakfasts were a bit on the poor side, and this from someone who is completely happy with the typically Italian breakfast.

Buon viaggio
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 11:27 PM

I stayed at Hotel Laurin in 1997, a long time ago for an accurate review, and enjoyed the hotel and the location. Be sure to ask for a harbor view. Here are some photos and my trip report. Lovely area. Enjoy your trip.

http://travelswithdiane.homestead.com/Italy6.html

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM

I enjoyed the Nuovo Riviera also. We stayed in two rooms at the annex which was fine. At the end of 2007 they had fresh rolls, an egg, cheese and good cappucinno for breakfast. It is quirky which I liked, but spotless, the annex is less quirky.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 05:56 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Laurin about six years ago. We really enjoyed our stay. Great location, attentive staff, beautiful view, and loved their roof top pool!! It may be too cool for you to use it, but great place to sit, take in the view and the stars! Easy walk to train, shops etc. Breakfast was typical Italian fare, was fine with me! You will love SML!! Enjoy!