Portofino

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portofino

Yes - I am still going back and fourth on this location or Santa Margherita. But in Portofino would you stay at Hotel Splendido or Splendido Mare? The Mare is significantly less expensive??
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 03:50 PM

The Hotel Splendido is WAY WAY up in the hills overlooking the Med....and major big bucks....

The other hotel is way less expensive..

Depends on how much you are willing to pay to sleep.....If I had the choice,and the money, I would definitely do the Hotel Splendido...
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:12 PM

They are both very expensive, but if you have priviledges at the Splendido up hill, I would stay at the Mare. I stayed right next to it at the Nazionale. It had the same view as the Mare. The rooms facing the harbor were fine, with hardwood floors and loft beds, but the rooms w/o views were horrible and I had to upgrade as soon as I arrived. If you can afford the Splendido and/or the Mare, go for it. I am sure they are both fabulous. I personally would not stay in Santa Margherita. I loved just sitting around the harbor eating olives and I would actually watch the harbor from my loft bed at the Nazionale.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having stayed in Santa Margherita Ligure (at the Hotel Fiorina which we would recommend) and visited Portofino, I would definitely choose SML. It's a very pretty resort town with a lovely waterfront and loads of nice shops and restaurants. Portofino is very upmarket, not a lot there but nice for a few hours.
Kay
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:31 PM

I totally agree with the last poster! We stayed in SML and boated over to Portofino. Loved SML, in fact we are returning in a month! Portofino is very small.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I am still debating both locations. I love the Splendido and while it is expensive it is a once and a lifetime honeymoon. If we stay in SML I would definately go to Portofino to eat dinner at Splendido. The problem for us is the two top hotels Imperiale and Miramare in SML have received average (if that) reviews. And I can't seem to find another hotel with a pool in SML. We like the beach, but would also like a pool too. Since the beaches are pretty rocky. What do you think? I am still so confused??
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Forget the pool--stay at Continental.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:19 PM

We are staying at Cenobio dei Dogi in a month and decided on it because it has been recommended highly.
Their web site shows that they have a pool and reading the reviews it is near the train station. http://www.cenobio.com/eng/gallery.htm
You can view the pictures.
We have stayed at the Continental a couple of years ago and it was nice. Very small rooms. We are more than likely staying there a couple nights this time because we love SML. but wanted to experience Camogli because so many have recommended it.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I have heard Camagoli is beautiful!!!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:11 AM

Hi again

We stayed at the Cenobio in Camogli in July! It is a very fine hotel with beach and POOL and great food! Rooms large and comfortable. Nice big bathrooms as well. Unfortuneatly the CT is about an hour away by local train. I thought that was one of your considerations was not staying so far away from CT??
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:47 PM

SPLENDITO....very nice location and view!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:58 PM

If I could afford the Hotel Splendido or Mare, I wouldn't think twice about any other hotel.